Possible to make profit at NL2

• KriZ0
      KriZ0
      Bronze
      I knwo a couple of people how only plays SNG's and tourneys, they don't play cash game, because they say that the rake at the micro limits is to big to make a profit. Is this true? Or is it just a way to cover up for them being bad poker players? I'm still playing at NL2 which I have done for a long time, but i'm pretty sure it's because i'm not playing right.
  • 17 replies
    • Dendra
      Dendra
      Bronze
      the rake may be too big on the micro limits of sng :) in nl cash games imo rake is not the problem, time is - in other words, you can earn $20 in 10 hours of nl2, but why spend 10hours when you can earn the same amount in 5 hours on nl5, or 2.5 hours on nl10

these are just random numbers of course, for the sake of an example :P also the rake taken also gives you points which you can exchange for money or items, etc. depending on the poker platform - so in overall only problem in cash games at any limit is imo your skills and nothing more.

on the other side, micro limit sngs have a high rake and you feel it quite a bit on your bankroll :P
    • FakeLunatic
      FakeLunatic
      Bronze
      I am playing NL2, and it is quite easy to beat it. There are alot of bad beats since ppl go allin with anything, but it can be done, players are terrible and your advantage should be clear over a larger sample.
    • Monkeye
      Monkeye
      Bronze
      I have beat NL2 then I won big at NL5, NL10 was also a succes for some time build my BR to $500 so it is possible. But I had much of badluck went down to $250. So I play NL5 again and still losing because the big coolers+ slowplaying everthing + limp AA-KK.
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze

NL2.. Not mine btw. :P
    • ZhiCheng
      ZhiCheng
      Bronze
      Haha, sick graph...
    • KriZ0
      KriZ0
      Bronze
      Originally posted by GooRukYONG
      Haha, sick graph...
      agrred

I thought so, i'll start working on my game :) so i can make a profit like that.
    • Tampaloeres81
      Tampaloeres81
      Bronze
      Originally posted by NightFrostaSS

Conservative BRM
      [x]
    • ZhiCheng
      ZhiCheng
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tampaloeres81

Conservative BRM
      [x]
      :D :D :D :D
    • AlexanderD22
      AlexanderD22
      Bronze
      Originally posted by GooRukYONG

Conservative BRM
      [x]
      :D :D :D :D
      Understatement of the decade?? I can't even begin to imagine how someone could grind half a mil hands+ at NL2.
    • AlCaTrAzzALZ
      AlCaTrAzzALZ
      Bronze
      [Edited by Primzi] - Breach of Forum Rules

Please refrain from posting advertising/affiliate links, your co-operation is appreciated.

Rule No. 3: No advertising commercial offers of any sort!

We cannot allow links to affiliate sites or the posting of bonus codes. The project PokerStrategy.com is completely financed by our affiliate advertising. Without this we could not offer our support, articles, or live coaching. For this reason we must protect the interest of the entire community from foreign advertising. This includes indirect advertising for commercial offers!
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Originally posted by AlCaTrAzzALZ
      Link removed by Primzi - PTR started tracking micros not so long ago and this graph is older. :P
      Pokerstars made him their pro for this.
    • TheLastNail
      TheLastNail
      Black
      Originally posted by NightFrostaSS

Conservative BRM
      [x]
      That plr is one of the 2: -10 child having fun or an unemployed moron having severe probs with his ego whose monthly life expenses dont exceed 200$
    • BDL
      BDL
      Bronze
      I play against that guy on Pot Limit 25 a decent bit. Fairly unremarkable player.
    • cryoburn
      cryoburn
      Silver
      Wow who the hell stands NL2 for so long?!

It's absolutely possible and quite easy to profit at NL2.
      In PartyPoker I made about 16.5bb/100 playing NL2 FR BSS on 12-16 tables for a month or so. About 150$ profit on 45k hands. Then moved up.

Actually the micro sng's rake is what's really awful...
    • SuvorovNL
      SuvorovNL
      Bronze
      I'm a very average player and I turned $25 into $70 on Cool Hand Poker in Nov.-Dec. Since Jan 1st I'm at Everest through PS.com and I made an extra $40 there. That's not counting bonuses. 4 tables, almost 5.5K hands this month. All at NL2. At Everest I stand at 40BB/100 and while I'm sure I'll see tougher times (worst daily result: -5BI), I don't believe I'll ever be a losing player on NL2. So yes, it's beatable. Rake really doesn't eat up your profit.
    • Grailer
      Grailer
      Global
      Originally posted by cryoburn
      Wow who the hell stands NL2 for so long?!

It's absolutely possible and quite easy to profit at NL2.
      In PartyPoker I made about 16.5bb/100 playing NL2 FR BSS on 12-16 tables for a month or so. About 150$ profit on 45k hands. Then moved up.

Actually the micro sng's rake is what's really awful...
      yeah but you can play 12 tables at once on NL2 easily enough
      thats $24 in play at once . And the players are so bad its easy to beat.

However you could play NL5 and buy in $2 and possibly win more but players who move all in with KQ pre flop in NL5 are much harder to find compared to NL2

Anyway I turned $25 into $169 in about 2 months and I was playing pretty bad and still winning.
    • Navrark
      Navrark
      Bronze
      If your friends can't beat NL2 then they are fish who don't want to improve their game.

Losing players like to make excuses. You should sit at the BlackJack tables for awhile and hit a soft 18 against a dealer 10. If the Dealer gets a 20 and the table loses it will be 100% your fault for playing wrong.

Of course it's absolutely the right play, but these players want someone to blame.

Nav