Sets OOP + not the agressor at nl5

• Monkeye

I have question I do not like donkbetting with a set at the flop but I think at nl5. It is maybe better to donkbet the flop at a drawy board because you get much more action than if you check/raise (let him cbet). And at this limit people give not much action anymore because they think check/raise is the nuts.

I also played NL10 there is check/raise fine because the games are aggresiver already.

Which opinions do you have about this situations?
  • 2 replies
    • Bierbaer
      I think a donkbet is a good play on these limits (in general) if you have no further reads.
      A lot of people are just calling down with weak hands and draws, but they wouldn't bet them.
      Sometimes they even overplay their hands and raise you in which case it's great to have the opportunity to shove the money in.
    • SheepMoose
      Say hero is BB with 55.

Situation 1.
      CO opens (a good TAG, 22/18), Button calls (fish, 67/2).

Flop comes down 5 :heart: 2 :spade: K :club:

This is a good board to check/raise. Reasons been is that the TAG is likely to cbet such a board, and the fish is likely to call with any holdings giving us more dead money.

Situation 2.

CO open limps (same fish from before, 67/2), Button iso-raises (same tag, 22/18). Hero flats in the BB, fish flats.

Flop comes down 5 :heart: 2 :spade: K :club:

In this situation we should be donking. Reason being is that if we go for check/raise the CO is likely to check instead of bet themself. The button can still cbet here but we're not likely to get dead money from the fish if we check, so donking is prefered as the fish can still call a donk but wont often call a check/raise.