[NL2-NL10] NL5 AQo

• Termis
      Was this check on the turn good? I planned to c/f or call ~1/2 pot size bet. Opponent seems quite passive, though quite aggressive. Maybe if I were beat, he would have raised flop/turn?

Known players:

0.02/0.04 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.70 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with A:diamond: , Q:spade:
      UTG1 raises to $0.16, 7 folds, Hero calls $0.12.

Flop: ($0.34) A:heart: , 9:spade: , 5:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.24, UTG1 calls $0.24.

Turn: ($0.82) 2:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.57, UTG1 calls $0.57.

River: ($1.96) K:heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG1 checks.

Final Pot: $1.96

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows a pair of aces (Ad Qs)
      UTG1 shows a pair of aces (Js As)

Hero wins with a pair of aces (Ad Qs)
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg

Your opponent is so tight his range is pretty well defined when he calls the turn, either he has an Ax hand or he has a heart draw. Since he's so aggressive maybe you can even discount some heart draws since he'd raise the donk with them some of the time. I don't think he'd play a better hand than that without raising the turn.

Given that on the heart river, either he has a made flush or he has an A. If you bet he'll likely call again with Ax, he'll raise with flushes. If you check to him he can't have anything to bluff with, and he's unlikely to valuebet worse Ax hands, so he'll end up only betting flushes.

So to me:

bet/fold ~ check/fold >>> check/call

Whether you b/f or c/f depends on how many Ax hands you think he shows up with in that spot. From a 10/6 i'm pretty sure he's never gonna show you worse than AJ 9-handed raising from UTG, so you beat AJ you tie AQ you lose to AK/flushes, it's probably a check/fold more often than not. If he was in the CO for example, meaning he has more Ax hands in his range, b/f would be better.

Hope it helps.