[NL2-NL10] QQ vs J9o (Lost huge value against fish. Help with bet sizing)

• roswellx
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:

Preflop: Hero is BU with Q, Q.
      2 folds, CO calls $0.10, Hero raises to $0.50, 2 folds, CO calls $0.40.

Flop: ($1.15) 7, Q, T (2 players)
      CO checks, Hero bets $0.60, CO calls $0.60.

Turn: ($2.35) Q (2 players)
      CO checks, Hero bets $0.70, CO calls $0.70.

River: ($3.75) K (2 players)
      CO bets $0.60, Hero raises to $5.40, CO calls $4.80.

Final Pot: $14.55.

Opponent is blue fish (whale ?) I wanted him to keep in the hand with my turn bet or bluff induce, but I think checking is also an option. How would you play this monster ? I thought about going all-in on the river but since he's a fish I thought he wouldn't hit very hard so I bet just the pot. Hoping he would think that I was bluffing with huge raise but he didn't :(
  • 2 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg

Bet more on the flop, lots of OESDs/top pairs/2nd pairs/gutshots/whatever the fish can call with, he won't care that you made it $0.9 instead of $0.6. You're really really deep with him, if you don't bet the flop big you'll subsequently lose value on later streets because the pot will be smaller.

I'd also bet more on the turn unless i had a reason to be almost sure i could induce something spazzy from him, the times where he also has a hand and we get a lot of money out of him with the nuts will trump the value we get sometimes out of his bluffs. $1.8 at least.

I'm fine with your raise size on the river, nothing indicate he has a very good hand there so if you jam in 250bb he's more likely to find a fold with whatever he has. I'd likely make it even a little smaller to like $4.4 to make sure he can call, but since he called the $5.4 raise anyway you likely know him better than i do.

Hope it helps.
    • roswellx
      Yes, I think I should have started smacking the fish on the flop. He rivered straight. He was kinda fit or fold (on the flop) fish.. He had 70 VPIP 12 PFR and 1 AGR stats. If he had TP then he proceeds if he doesn't he calls small bets and tries to draw you out. Since I was in position I thought I could control the size of this hand.. Next time I'll squeeze the fish in him :) Thanks.