$5.00
      MP1:
      $1.79
      MP2:
      $9.04
      Hero:
      $5.00

0.02/0.04 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.70 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with J:spade: , K:heart:
      MP1 calls $0.04, MP2 calls $0.04, Hero calls $0.04, 2 folds, SB calls $0.02, BB checks. - probably should have raised, but decided to limp this time. Is sometimes ok to limp this hand or its a clear fold/raise?

Flop: ($0.20) K:club: , 8:spade: , 3:diamond: (5 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, MP2 bets $0.12, Hero calls $0.12, 3 folds. -Thought i was ahead against MP2 so I called

Turn: ($0.44) 9:club: (2 players)
      MP2 bets $0.16, Hero raises to $0.45, MP2 calls $0.29. -weak bet, so raised to see where I stand

River: ($1.34) 4:diamond: (2 players)
      MP2 bets $0.16, Hero calls $0.16. -at this point I thought he had something like K10, KQ, so called his minbet

Final Pot: $1.66

I just had to include results. Please look after feedback. T.Y.

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows a pair of kings (Js Kh)
      MP2 shows a pair of aces (Ac Ad)

MP2 wins with a pair of aces (Ac Ad)
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

KJo doesn't play well enough in a multiway pot, you're very often better off raising over the limpers so that you can play for stacks with a top pair, instead of getting into trouble with it 5-way and be looking for at least two pairs/a straight.

Well this player never raises preflop so his range could be virtually anything. While AF and WTSD are quite unreliable with only 50 hands i'm guessing still that he doesn't bet much and calls a whole lot. So even him betting out in the first place on that board should look strong. There are no draws, i very much doubt he's doing that with 8x or worse, he'd probably even be checking down something like JJ. In the moment i'd probably play it just like you did in case he can do that with any top pair, but i'd make a note on him after that hand that these ~$0.16 look standard to him rather than weak.

You likely need to rethink the reasons why you're betting/raising. You don't need fold equity when you have a hand that rates to be best. You shouldn't raise or bet "for information" ever, raise or bet when you think you can make enough better hands fold or enough worse hands call.

Hope it helps.