Stack
      BB:
      $5.00
      Hero:
      $5.27
      BU:
      $3.95

0.02/0.04 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.70 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is UTG2 with K:diamond: , A:club:
      Hero raises to $0.16, 4 folds, BU calls $0.16, SB folds, BB calls $0.12.

Flop: ($0.50) K:club: , 2:heart: , Q:diamond: (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.36, BU calls $0.36, BB folds. -standard imo

Turn: ($1.22) 7:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.87, BU calls $0.87. -also good?

River: ($2.96) 2:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $1.41, Hero calls $1.41. - here I was just lost, I thought he might cold call turn with AQ, AK, also maybe slowplaying KQ. Was check good? Figured if I bet river, I would be committed and have to call no matter what. Should fold be proper if bet is 2/3 or more?

Final Pot: $5.78
  • 3 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Well unless he's betting the river a lot with a wide range he usually won't bet himself with much that you beat, probably only TJ/AJ/AT type of hands for busted straight draws and he might not even bluff with that. Since he seems loose so far he probably has more Kx than just KQ in his range and i wouldn't give him credit for being able to fold a top pair, so i'd fire again $2 for value and reluctantly call it off the times he shoves because of pot odds, i think it still beats check/calling especially if you're going to check/fold to big bets without further reads.

Hope it helps.
    • Termis
      Termis
      Bronze
      This is very typical situation when im with TPTK create too big pots by betting for value. How should I play if opponent were something like 18/8/2.6? How large should my bets be not to have trouble folding against slowplayed set? It happens many times when I flop top pair with top kicker, and villain just calls untill river and just raise shoves my bet on it. What would be correct play against cold callers?
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

You can bet bet c/f against a 18/8/2, he won't valuebet the river with worse made hands and nitty players usually don't bluff too much either. They won't fold Kx on flop and turn but they will usually release worse Kx hands by the river, they will only call with draws on flop & turn obviously, so betting the first two streets and checking the last one makes more sense.

Against bad loose players that slowplay there is no miracle solution really, you just have to believe that they'll show up more often with worse hands than with better hands and that it's just your mind that remember the bad times better than the good times. You can't just miss value all the time by not betting in fear that you'll get shoved on. Getting shoved on by players who can't bluff is actually good for you, they save you money by telling you you're beat. Pot odds are meaningless when you're always beat, and the only reason we make these crying calls is because we're never quite sure villains can't have worse hands, especially bad idiotic villains.

Hope it helps.