[NL2-NL10] nl 5 SH: AQ and...

• cath2034
      cath2034
      Bronze
      Hi everyone

Here is a hand that I played in NL 5 SH. I will try to show you what I was thinking and why I played this hand like this.

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      BB:
      $8,97
      Hero:
      $5,75

0,02/0,05 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.69 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is CO with A:club: , Q:club:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0,20, 2 folds, BB raises to $0,50, Hero calls $0,30.

I raise with AQs and vilain reraise me for 2,5 time my bet. I decide to call because im in position.

Flop: ($1,02) 6:spade: , A:diamond: , 2:heart: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0,60, BB calls $0,60.

On the flop, vilain check. So im thinking...a pair of aces would of bet here. So I probably have the best hand. Vilain call.

Turn: ($2,22) 2:spade: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks.

Now why did he called on the flop if he have a pair like 99+? It's so obvious that I have an ace...He is probably slowplaying a big hand like a set. Let's check to control the pot.

River: ($2,22) J:heart: (2 players)
      BB bets $1,50, Hero folds, BB gets uncalled bet back.

But the problem with the check behind for pot control is that if your opponent bet on the river, you don't know if he tries to steal the pot or to make value. What is the best decision? And with the J, I don't even beat AJ...

Final Pot: $2,22

Thank you for your opinion and sorry for my poor english.
  • 2 replies
    • SheepMoose
      SheepMoose
      Bronze
      Villian checks flop because he..

A) Thinks you're bluffy with you're whole range.
      B) Is a dumbass and decided to slowplay a set (very unlikely)
      or, and most likely if against a thinking player..

C) Checked to you with the chance of check/calling with medium pairs that are in his 3betting range.
      example, 99-KK would check/call here because even though it turns their hand face up it gives the player a chance to get to showdown, where as if they bet flop you can easily float and then they may check/fold the best hand, which does happen a lot in 3bet pots OOP.

What does this all mean? You should bet the turn. The second duece changes nothing which may force him to check/call once more with 99-KK, also betting gives us more information, and protects from the flush draw which although extremely unlikely, could've hit villian on turn.

Also, rivers a call. If he has AJ/AK or JJ/AA then eh, note him as a slowplayer.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello,

As you played then I am just Calling the river, you made a check on turn for pot control and you mostly have to Call the river because he could bet out there with so wide range. It could be also option to bet out on turn for value, he could Call with so wide range there and also he seems to be Calling station.

Best regards,
      Rensu