Some advice for beginners from a beginner

• corsc
      corsc
      Bronze
      Firstly let me prefix all this by saying, I'm not an experienced player, in fact, I still havent cleared by initial bankroll and at one point wondered if I ever would.

Anyway, I wanted to share some thoughts with those that are like me, just starting out and maybe not as successful as you expected or wanted to be.

1) Follow the charts, they are boring as hell but its just like learning to read, you have to know your letters before you can read the encyclopedia.
      They are intentionally very very safe and designed to give you experience without getting you hurt. This will change as you get more experienced.

2) The PS people harp on it, but it is really worth mentioning, Bankroll Management.
      These rules are there to protect you even more than the tightness of the charts.
      Even though it sucks mightly to have to go down the limits or even to get stuck playing $0.02/$0.04, its the cheapest way for you to get the experience you need and believe me it will inspire you to follow the charts and read all the articles and watch all the videos you can get your hands on.
      If you ignore them you are sure to fail eventually, I know I almost did.

3) Perhaps the best advice that you may not have seen as it not apparent from the articles and other learning materials is this.
      Get yourself a tiltblocker either something like the one Terrorblade uses or simply use something like PokerTracker and drag the stats over your bankroll so you cant see it (If you do this you will also need to use the "auto top-up" feature of your poker client).
      I used to obsess about how much money I had made or loss at a particular table and it used to Tilt me like crazy. Ok, sometimes it would make me more determined to follow the "PS rules" more closely which was a good thing but it used to also make me play longer session and call down to showdowns much more than I should have been.
  • 9 replies
    • Harper2010
      Harper2010
      Bronze
      Tnx for your post and advice but i am im a complete new comer to Poker and i dont understand what you mean when you say fellow the charts ?

Thank you
    • corsc
      corsc
      Bronze
      Depending on the type of poker you choose to play the PS people have laid out a series of articles to help you get started.
      These articles include links to PDF documents that have charts that explain what to do in every situation you will encounter.

Here are the links:
      Fixed Limit: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/fixed-limit/#basic
      No Limit: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/sss/#basic
      Sit-n-Go: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/sng/#basic

If you are completely new to poker you might want to check this one first it will hopefully help you decide what kind of poker might suit you best. (You can of course change any time you like)

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/others/1271/
    • Harper2010
      Harper2010
      Bronze
      Thank you very much for that replay that will be great help! :)
    • s1m0nmp
      s1m0nmp
      Global
      Originally posted by corsc
      If you are completely new to poker you might want to check this one first it will hopefully help you decide what kind of poker might suit you best. (You can of course change any time you like)

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/others/1271/
      I really like this article... haven't read it before... it doesnt only give you a guideline what you can play but also what other people could play against you such as recognizing SSS if you play BSS
    • Harper2010
      Harper2010
      Bronze
      After reading a lot of this imformation i have learnt a great deal, i have decided ( once my starting bank roll has been apporoved ) that im gonna play in small stake Sit and go tournaments $1 50% of my bankroll, i have played before but with not great deal of knowledge.

I have printed the first, middle and stealing big blinds and re raises and im gonna learn them as i play along hopefully this can imrpove my game i will let you no how i do. Maybe after a couple of weeks i wont need the print outs it will be in my head what to do :)

Tnx for the first post and tnx pokerstrategy great site :) :)
    • Roachor
      Roachor
      Bronze
      just want to say that i am a beginner also, after reading all the information i have kind off lost my confidence. I tought i was a pretty good player but turns out i was the biggest fish of them all.

Problem i have now is i absorb all the information but cant bring it to the poker table (well i guess ill have to practice practice and practice).

I think i still have around 45 dollar of my starting bonus so its time i stop reading for a while and just start playing to hopefully win a few rounds (well atleast be in teh money) and get my confidence back.

i wish you all the biggest luck (ofcourse not when your on my table!)
    • corsc
      corsc
      Bronze
      Harper2010:
      Im glad you found a game that suits you.
      All I can add to what I have put above is, don't rush.
      I tried to do this and almost lost all of my starting bankroll.
      Oh, and after the first set of charts there will be more complicated and hopefully for you profitable ones :)

Roachor:
      Im not sure if it will work for you but I have found that it was impossible to bring all of the information to the table at once. But by reading or watching an article and then playing for a while, then re-reading or re-watching I was able to absorb more the second (third, fourth, etc) time around.
      As far as being a fish, Im sure we all were at some time, Im pretty sure I still am to the higher limit players.
      Im pretty sure I made all of the mistakes in this video :)
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/fixed-limit/7/
    • Roachor
      Roachor
      Bronze
      haha yeah thats a nice video :D real informative.

I downloaded all the articles to my phone so will rereread them when im travelling home from work ( around 90 mins ) so can read allot and hopefully absorb also.

I did a SNG yesterday and finished 4th, i think my main problem is knowing when to enter a next "phase", i know the 24 times BB rule etc but i think i still play to tight. Also placing people on certain playing styles is rlly hard for me but i think thats lack of concentration.

Ive read somewhere that having a "prior poker" activity helps allot, like watching some tv, running downstairs, do some headbanging etc so im gonna try todo that (ill start tonight with a Thee ritual, make some Thee before playing poker and drinking it while playing ;) )

Edit : Hey all ! just won my first SNG!!! Im so proud :D My socks and armpits are sweaty as hell but it was worth it !! damn this feeling is good !
    • corsc
      corsc
      Bronze
      [quote][i]
      I did a SNG yesterday and finished 4th, i think my main problem is knowing when to enter a next "phase", i know the 24 times BB rule etc but i think i still play to tight. Also placing people on certain playing styles is rlly hard for me but i think thats lack of concentration.

Edit : Hey all ! just won my first SNG!!! Im so proud :D My socks and armpits are sweaty as hell but it was worth it !! damn this feeling is good ![/quote]Ha Ha.... congrats :)