How are you ment to give up smoking and play poker???

• PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      Serriously how are you ment to do it?!?!

I ended having to cut a session short because all i could think about was wanting a cigarette! I was having a winning session until the last orbit where i stupidly stacked off I carnt really "not play" poker because i need to earn money. But how the fck do you manage it?!?!??! Anyone?
  • 10 replies
    • DarkNeo1
      DarkNeo1
      Bronze
      No idea. I tried for a week but I was going on tilt at the slightest thing which cost me more money than buying cigs lol.
    • aceonetheriver
      aceonetheriver
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DarkNeo1
      No idea. I tried for a week but I was going on tilt at the slightest thing which cost me more money than buying cigs lol.
      lol

I had to quit, had lungs trouble cause of it...was hard..try if u can replace it with somthin else..like gum or stick! lol haha gd luck :)
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      I know, its really anoying X(
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      Originally posted by aceonetheriver
      lol

I had to quit, had lungs trouble cause of it...was hard..try if u can replace it with somthin else..like gum or stick! lol haha gd luck :)
      I'll try this. I was thinking of buying one of those E-cigs, you know the water vapour ones?

Btw how many days did it take you to stop craving a cig? I had gone 4 or 5 days over christmas without one as i was away. But the day after i got back i ended up buying a packet, although i dont actually think i really needed it :(
    • STR82ACE
      STR82ACE
      Bronze
      Try using the patch. Get the strongest one, though. Even if you only wear on poker days, it'll help with the urge, as well as the nicotine gum.
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      Just curious here as I've never really smoked, but do you try to stop completely at once? Because if so, it would most likely work a lot better to count how many cigs you smoke per day, then allow yourself x-1 cigarettes/day for the first week, x-2 for the second, etc until you stop completely. And possibly either complement that, or follow it up, with nicotine patches/gums etc.
      It sounds pretty obvious saying it, but I know a few people who just try to go from smoking 10 cigs/day to nothing, then wonder why they couldn't do it...

That said, the craving and stress will certainly not help with poker, so the "gentler" you can stop, the better.
    • Optroot
      Optroot
      Bronze
      Just curious here as I've never really smoked, but do you try to stop completely at once? Because if so, it would most likely work a lot better to count how many cigs you smoke per day, then allow yourself x-1 cigarettes/day for the first week, x-2 for the second, etc until you stop completely. And possibly either complement that, or follow it up, with nicotine patches/gums etc.
      It sounds pretty obvious saying it, but I know a few people who just try to go from smoking 10 cigs/day to nothing, then wonder why they couldn't do it...

That said, the craving and stress will certainly not help with poker, so the "gentler" you can stop, the better.

I quit with that method.

I still smoke.

Serriously how are you ment to do it?!?!

I ended having to cut a session short because all i could think about was wanting a cigarette! I was having a winning session until the last orbit where i stupidly stacked off I carnt really "not play" poker because i need to earn money. But how the fck do you manage it?!?!??! Anyone?

Smoke where you play. But you will smoke 5x more.
    • thepowerplay
      thepowerplay
      Bronze
      I quit after 10 years of smoking. I was about 1-2 packs a day on average. Forget cutting back one smoke at a time, go cold turkey and quit all at once. I don't know too many drug rehab programs that don't go the abstinence route. I'm sorry to say, but you just have to feel the pain and go through it.

Here's what I did:

1. Before you go cold turkey, start limiting the places you allow yourself to smoke... like only outside on the back porch or something like that. It will start to break up whatever holding patterns that you have around smoking.

2. Set a date and tell those closest to you that's what you are doing, and ASK for their support. It helps mentally to make a formal commitment.

3. When you stop smoking, use whatever aids you need to help... nicorette, the patch, whatever it takes. That's the stuff you want to use and then scale back over time.

4. I took up bike riding, and whenever I started to nic out... I just went for a crazy ride for at least half an hour... sometimes a couple of hours. I spent a lot of time riding my bike for the first few weeks! I'd listen to really loud music while doing it too, just to try and blow through the angst in my body. At the very least get your ass in the gym or something every day so you can really work your body hard... it will relieve the tension.

5. Some things I avoided like the plague for the first 3 months: bars, alcohol, all of my friends who smoked, or any person or place that I would typically like up a smoke. It's too hard to hang with your buds in the pub and not light up after a few pints.

6. Avoid activities that could really piss you off. For me, I'd take a bit of a poker sabbatical, but if you need to make money, you need to make money.

A final word: I thought I was over the hump in about 2 weeks, but in fact I really struggled the hardest a few months after the fact. Those were the times, I would start to think stupid shit like "I could just have one!" or "Well maybe I could just be a weekend smoker". And that's where you totally destroy all your hard work quitting in the first place... a big reason why I also went cold turkey on my friends and lifestyle for 3 months. I would say it was about a year before I could comfortably hang out in a bar and drink or see friends and not be tempted. It really is a long haul IMO. It took me quite a few attempts to figure out that part, but once I did I finally quit. So it can be done! I'm 11 years smoke free now and no temptations whatsoever!

Good luck dude! Quitting smoking is the #1 thing you can do to take care of yourself! Go for it!

:)
    • Roachor
      Roachor
      Bronze
      For me setting a date didnt work, i grabbed the time when i had the feeling "Why am i smoking" and just went for it ! setting a date made me only smoke more the days before and did not rlly work out for me.

My only tip, buy allot of toothpicks and candy and drink allot of water..also what works is put on paper why you want to quit and just keep reminding yourself to it every day, every hour...

And whatever you do DONT THINK I CAN JUST SMOKE1!! it ruined many quitting attemps for me :)

Im clean now for 2 years i think after smoking for 9.. and it was the best decision i could EVER make.
    • aceonetheriver
      aceonetheriver
      Bronze
      hey,

U need a strong motivation to quit..mine was pain and death..the doc said if i keep smokin in 2 yrs i reach a level where i cant breathe anymore...scared me to death! ( turned out later that he was mistaken my results...thats another story ..) but that made me quit smoking for ever...i'm talking about 2 packs a day..40cigs...! so my advice to u is find ur motivation..why do u smoke anyway? and why u wanna stop...?

best of luck fighting ur self...