[NL20-NL50] 50 SH: JJ v 80/7 bb

• WildBeans
      the villain is 80/7 in 70 hands. However the board is dangerous. What is standard here? Am I thinking bet/fold? bet/call, even check behind.. maybe a bit too weak..
      What if he just calls the flop bet? Do I keep going if it's a blank card? Do I checkbehind and call river on a dangerous turn card?
      He's reasonably aggressive with around 47% AgF on turn and river (out of 30 and 15 instances respectively).. fold to CB 67% out of 15..

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.25/$0.5 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)

Known players:

Preflop: Hero is BU with J, J.
      2 folds, Hero raises to $1.50, SB folds, BB calls $1.00.

Flop: ($3.25) 7, 6, 9 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $2.50, BB folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $3.25.
  • 1 reply
    • caltabiano

We should definitely be betting this flop and betting it big. Against this guy, who seems like a big fish, I'd probably just pot it or at least close to pot it because there's so much he can call you with. I mean, he's not folding a flush draw, he's not folding an 8, he's not folding a 9 and he's not folding TT. If he calls and the turn blanks, we should definitely bet big again, because he's still gonna be calling with the same range.

If turn comes a 5, I'd bet again for thin value and free sd, because he can still call us with TP, FD or maybe even a T. I'd make it slightly less than 1/2 pot, as it's pretty thin value. We fold if get raised and check back river if called.

If turns comes an 8, the board gets a lot scarier. any 5 got there, any T got there and a bunch of 2 pair completed. We could maybe get a little value from a 9 and a FD. I'd often check back and fold to a river bet, because I think he's just ognna be betting all of his 2 pairs or better. Considering this guy seems really really bad, we could go for a super thin value bet and bet something like 1/5 pot and then check back river. We really don't need to be ahead that often in order for this bet to work. So if you think he's still gonna be calling any 9 and any FD, you can do that.

If turn comes a T, I'd use the same line as if it were a 5. The good thing about the T is that he probably peeled the flop with any T and now he peels them again because he turned TP. Of course, any 8 got there and T9 also beats us now (but we still got a bit of equity against T9.

On a flush card I just bet normally, because he's still calling any top pair and any 8.