This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL20-NL50] 50SH: AK bu squeeze facing 4bet

• WildBeans
      WildBeans
      Bronze
      edit: the villain is unknown (16 hands - 18/16)

I called this guy because it seemed a fishy play. I know that he could be slowplaying something big, but it doesn't seem that way. I could imagine him doing that TT+ maybe AQ+ (probably much looser). That gives me about 50% equity and with so much dead money it is a call for me... I only need 41% pot odds taking into account rake (?).

Even if we made him much tighter, JJ+, AK+ I would get 39.7% and that's quite close..
      I guess I just want to know what the standard play is here:

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.25/$0.5 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      MP3:
      $66.60
      CO:
      $70.55
      BU(Hero):
      $48.75
      SB:
      $56.10
      BB:
      $59.65
      MP2:
      $53.75

Preflop: Hero is BU with K, A.
      MP2 raises to $2.00, MP3 folds, CO calls $2.00, Hero raises to $8.00, 3 folds, CO raises to $70.55, Hero calls $40.75(All-In).

Flop: ($122.05) T, K, 8 (2 players)

Turn: ($122.05) 5 (2 players)

River: ($122.05) 3 (2 players)

Final Pot: $122.05.
  • 4 replies
    • caltabiano
      caltabiano
      Bronze
      I would definitely call, because people usually 4b their slowplayed monsters instead of shoving directly.
      That said, I'm also calling KQ for example, because CO will have 88-JJ a lot here.
      I think AQ is a lot less likely than pockets, because AQ is the kind of hand peopl can just flat the squeeze instead of shoving directly.

As a general rule, you can't squeeze [AK,JJ+] and fold to a 4b, because people are gonna be playing back a little lighter and you always have enough equity to justify a push.
    • maya1984
      maya1984
      Bronze
      Originally posted by caltabiano
      That said, I'm also calling KQ for example, because CO will have 88-JJ a lot here.
      I think AQ is a lot less likely than pockets, because AQ is the kind of hand peopl can just flat the squeeze instead of shoving directly.

As a general rule, you can't squeeze [AK,JJ+] and fold to a 4b, because people are gonna be playing back a little lighter and you always have enough equity to justify a push.
      With out any history I really don't like the idea of calling if off with KQ. People will show up with a stronger range then 88-JJ. AQ and slowplayed stuff is among those hands.
    • caltabiano
      caltabiano
      Bronze
      Originally posted by maya1984
      Originally posted by caltabiano

With out any history I really don't like the idea of calling if off with KQ. People will show up with a stronger range then 88-JJ. AQ and slowplayed stuff is among those hands.
      True, doing it against a complete unknown is a bit of a stretch. But, as long as you know villain is taggish and knows what a squeeze is AND there's no recent history that would make him likely to slowplay a big hand, it's a fine move IMO.
      They always show up with 88-JJ. Usually not even JJ, because that's a 3b pre flop a lot of the time. What I see the most is 99-TT. I never see AQ either, because AQ is easier to play post flop than something like 99

However, if it's a UTG/MP situation, I'm a lot less incline to do that. I find that people slowplay a lot more in these situations, just because 3betting a UTG raiser looks way too strong.
    • dandycal
      dandycal
      Bronze
      \o/