[NL20-NL50] 50SH: AK bu squeeze facing 4bet

• WildBeans
      WildBeans
      Bronze
      edit: the villain is unknown (16 hands - 18/16)

I called this guy because it seemed a fishy play. I know that he could be slowplaying something big, but it doesn't seem that way. I could imagine him doing that TT+ maybe AQ+ (probably much looser). That gives me about 50% equity and with so much dead money it is a call for me... I only need 41% pot odds taking into account rake (?).

Even if we made him much tighter, JJ+, AK+ I would get 39.7% and that's quite close..
      I guess I just want to know what the standard play is here:

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.25/$0.5 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      MP3:
      $66.60
      CO:
      $70.55
      BU(Hero):
      $48.75
      SB:
      $56.10
      BB:
      $59.65
      MP2:
      $53.75

Preflop: Hero is BU with K, A.
      MP2 raises to $2.00, MP3 folds, CO calls $2.00, Hero raises to $8.00, 3 folds, CO raises to $70.55, Hero calls $40.75(All-In).

Flop: ($122.05) T, K, 8 (2 players)

Turn: ($122.05) 5 (2 players)

River: ($122.05) 3 (2 players)

Final Pot: $122.05.
  • 4 replies
    • caltabiano
      caltabiano
      Bronze
      I would definitely call, because people usually 4b their slowplayed monsters instead of shoving directly.
      That said, I'm also calling KQ for example, because CO will have 88-JJ a lot here.
      I think AQ is a lot less likely than pockets, because AQ is the kind of hand peopl can just flat the squeeze instead of shoving directly.

As a general rule, you can't squeeze [AK,JJ+] and fold to a 4b, because people are gonna be playing back a little lighter and you always have enough equity to justify a push.
    • maya1984
      maya1984
      Bronze
      Originally posted by caltabiano
      That said, I'm also calling KQ for example, because CO will have 88-JJ a lot here.
      I think AQ is a lot less likely than pockets, because AQ is the kind of hand peopl can just flat the squeeze instead of shoving directly.

As a general rule, you can't squeeze [AK,JJ+] and fold to a 4b, because people are gonna be playing back a little lighter and you always have enough equity to justify a push.
      With out any history I really don't like the idea of calling if off with KQ. People will show up with a stronger range then 88-JJ. AQ and slowplayed stuff is among those hands.
    • caltabiano
      caltabiano
      Bronze
      Originally posted by maya1984
      Originally posted by caltabiano

With out any history I really don't like the idea of calling if off with KQ. People will show up with a stronger range then 88-JJ. AQ and slowplayed stuff is among those hands.
      True, doing it against a complete unknown is a bit of a stretch. But, as long as you know villain is taggish and knows what a squeeze is AND there's no recent history that would make him likely to slowplay a big hand, it's a fine move IMO.
      They always show up with 88-JJ. Usually not even JJ, because that's a 3b pre flop a lot of the time. What I see the most is 99-TT. I never see AQ either, because AQ is easier to play post flop than something like 99

However, if it's a UTG/MP situation, I'm a lot less incline to do that. I find that people slowplay a lot more in these situations, just because 3betting a UTG raiser looks way too strong.
    • dandycal
      dandycal
      Bronze
      \o/