Taking a rest from poker.

• Anger86
      Anger86
      Bronze
      Hello everyone!

I've been playing poker very bad lately. Lost about 1/2 of my bankroll, because I quit learning poker at all
      (for 1 month or so, thought I was a good profitable player. What a bullshit! ?( ). (From NL50 back to NL25)
      Not playing for a week now (just reading poker books) and I'm planning not to play for some time.
      I could read some books, articles, post some hands instead.
      I guess, I enjoy learning more than playing now.

OK, let's get to the point. I have some questions to you guys:
      1) Should I worry about regress in poker, if I don't play it for 1 month or more, but learn instead?
      2) What is your experience of taking a rest from the poker tables? Do you feel or play better after that?
      3) Is it possible to actually play better after a month without playing poker, but learning a lot instead?
      (rebuilding all my poker knowledge from the bottom) =)

P.S. Sorry for my language mistakes.
  • 10 replies
    • bullet101
      bullet101
      Bronze
      Hi, sorry i dont have all the answers for you but im sure taking a break is better, im also on a weeks break because i started losing to much. Good luck :s_cool:
    • wquinn636
      wquinn636
      Bronze
      Personally I think it's easier to learn poker while playing it. Costs more though :tongue: .

I don't know if it would improve your game significantly more than reading+learning while playing would but in terms of your mindset and general well-being I can't recommend taking a break enough.
    • Sasa1234
      Sasa1234
      Bronze
      If you take a break for few weeks you'll return refreshed and with better mindset/more tilt resistant. If you feel like you should take a rest then definetely take it. you could watch videos and reread articles, it could do wonders($$) for your game when you return at the tables.

Hope it helped a bit. GL
    • cryoburn
      cryoburn
      Silver
      Taking a break is always great. Then after a few days or a couple of weeks resume playing gradually mixed with study and start with less tables. Meanwhile keep studying.

And when you get back to play start reviewing every single session to see what went right and wrong, what could you change in your game, where are you loosing money, etc. If you have a bad beat try to handle it. But if you feel you're beginning to tilt just call it a day and do something else.

Remember always to have a confortable BR for your limit. Drop down in limit a couple of days if you need to regain confidence.

GL
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      definitely worth takign a break if you feel your game sliding.

i like to reduce the number of tables and increase my session review volume + watching videos if i feel my game slipping.

you can never have enough theory imo
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Poker break + Theory study + HH review FTW.

And when you do start playing again, you may well have the hunger again - but this time with an improved skill base.

Good luck fella. :f_thumbsup:
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Don't forget to learn from hands you have played yourself. Your past mistakes are the best learning tool.

At the stakes you are playing make sure you invest a bit in software. Tools like PokerTracker 3 and Leak Buster are invaluable to analyzing your own game and correcting your own mistakes.
    • straightless
      straightless
      Bronze
      IMO, taking a break for a week or even more, it ain't good . I'd lost the line I guess. I understand when taking day or two off tho.
      I'd rather follow BRM, and study meanwhile.
      GL
    • Anger86
      Anger86
      Bronze
      Thank you very much guys!
      It has been a while. Had to learn for exams, now I can continue with poker.
      I think I could just play like 1 h a day, if I really feel good about playing.
      Not feeling good, not playing obviously.
      But idea is the same - learning will be more important, than playing.

Feel good about it!
      Anyway I can't lose, because I want to learn poker more, than to win more cash!
      So, if I learn something useful, then I'm a winner.

OK, I'll just start with learning psychology and mindset stuff, I'll learn poker plays later after that. :f_p:

Yes! About mindset. I bought a really nice book "The Poker Mindset", which is really useful.
      It explains - downswing, tilt, bad beat, players psychology, etc. This book is - must read.
      Even if you already are a "good, winning, profitable" poker player, don't hesitate, read it.

Another book I bought is "Harrington on Cash Games".
      And here I have some questions about it.
      What tendencies and plays should/shouldn't I take from it?
      Has game changed so much, that it is already too old book for nowadays?
      What is your experience about it, guys?
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Even though i'm a relative newbie, i've had a few times where i've had to take a break from poker. Just a few days, but when I come back to it I feel totally revived and ready for long sessions of playing my A-Game, so I would recommend taking a complete break from everything poker related for a few days, then start studying, as that starts getting you in the mood to play, then continue playing. It really does work wonders. :)