[NL20-NL50] NL25 FR JJ blind battles

• RahXephon1
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Hand abspielen

$0.1/$0.25 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:

Preflop: Hero is SB with J, J.
      5 folds, CO calls $0.25, BU raises to $1.10, Hero raises to $3.80, 2 folds, BU raises to $25.06, Hero calls $21.20.

Flop: ($50.56) 9, A, Q (2 players)

Turn: ($50.56) A (2 players)

River: ($50.56) Q (2 players)

Final Pot: $50.56.

Villain is a TAG 18/16 with 22% ats (not really accurate not enough hands). Is it ok, to play for stacks here?
  • 3 replies
    • caltabiano

First thing you have to ask yourself is: Why am I 3betting? As a general rule, you can't 3b [JJ+,AK] over an iso-raise, unless you're planning to play for stacks. So, you gotta be sure what kind of opponent you're dealing with.

Is your opponent gonna flat your 3b with stuff like 88, 99, QJ, JT? Or is he the 4b or fold type of player?
      Against the 4b or fold type of player, you can't 3bet a hand like JJ unless you're planning to play for stacks. Especially when you're 3betting and iso-raise. If you 3b/f against such a player, you're essentially turning your hand into a bluff. You might as well have 23o in that spot. Flatting is better if you don't think you can play for stacks.

Since your opponent has position, it's very likely he can call you with a bunch of hands, instead of playing 4b or fold. People usually play 4b or fold OOP. Besides that, his range should be fairly weak, as he's isolating a fish on the BU. The consideration we have to make is if he's playing back at you. Is he going to recognize that you're 3betting him lighter because he's isolating a fish?

If he is, you have an easy stack off. If you don't think he is, then it's more of a 3b/f spot, as you don't have enough equity to call against a [QQ+,AK] range.

Now, another consideration to make is that he shoves directly instead of 4betting. That makes me a lot more inclined to call, because I don't expect he plays KK and AA like that. He probably just 4bets them.

As you see, it really depends on the kind of opponent you're dealing with. But taking everything into consideration (isolation raise, shove instead of 4b), I'd call it off.

If he ended up having KK or AA, I hope you made a note ;)

• Tampaloeres81
      A few things to notice on this specific hand is that villain is isolating a player OOP.
      ??? Vilain is BU and has absolute position and is isolating a fish (CO limps and ~60bb)...

This will widen up his range a lot I think. After his shove I am lost. I agree that QQ+ will not shove that much and rather re-raise.
    • caltabiano
      lolz sorry, my bad. I must be going crazy. I'll fix my post.

Fixed it. Sorry for the mistake