[NL20-NL50] NL25 FR Nut 1 Card Flushdraw Turn versus raise.

• DaPhunk
      Full Tilt Poker $25.00 No Limit Hold'em - 8 players
      The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

SB: $25.85
      BB: $25.35
      UTG: $32.19
      UTG+1: $25.22
      Hero (MP1): $52.98
      MP2: $27.79
      CO: $35.29
      BTN: $63.62

Pre Flop: ($0.35) Hero is MP1 with A :club: 7 :heart:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.75, 2 folds, BTN calls $0.75, 2 folds

Flop: ($1.85) Q :club: 3 :heart: 6 :club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.25, BTN calls $1.25

Turn: ($4.35) 5 :club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $3.00, BTN raises to $10, Hero calls $7

River: ($24.35) K :diamond: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $16.75, Hero folds

I accidentally auto-called this on turn, but I think it might well be a fold. I do not have pot-odds to hit my Flush, I likely have reduced equity against his range which is Set or Flush here (not often a straight ofc) and I certainly don't have implied's as he might not even go broke with the 2nd nut flush.

Now that I have called turn the only way I get enough value if I hit is by Check/Shoving river which yet again is risky because he can very easily check back with all the hands I could get value from.

• 5 replies
    • donmac
      At first i would fod PF.
      Now if you entered the play - i would cbet 50% (the villain fold to cbet just 50%). After flop i would check / fold the turn and in Your situation when You received reraise on turn it would be 100% fold from my side.
    • caltabiano

Yeah, A7o from MP? Way too loose. Did you have a specific reason for opening that?

It's a pretty standard 2nd barrel I believe, as you turned the NFD + a gutshot.

But yeah, you can fold to his raise, because even if you do hit, it's gonna be super hard to extract OOP.
      But since you accidentaly called, when you do hit the river, you're in a crappy spot. I mean, you've got the nuts, but how do you extract here? He checks bakc his str8's, sets and weak flushes, but maybe bets the 2nd nut flush. You might get his stack when he does have the 2nd nut flush though. But the truth is there shouldn't be too many K :club: in his range, so I'd db the river and hope he makes a mistake.

You called 7 on the turn, so you need to get $28 in order to break even. The pot was already $20 (we don't count your turn call). So bet something like $12. He's gonna have a hard time folding whatever it is that he has.

• DaPhunk

I opened A7 because there were two fish in the blinds and the other players remaining behind me were very tight except for BTN who isn't half the nit the others are.

I open quite wide in scenarios like this because I can still often take the pot down with a cbet and/or Second barrel versus a reg that calls me giving too much respect and I have lovely edge against said fish.

My Wide Opening range explains my 3BB opens.
    • RahXephon1
      In this case the preflop raise is probably best to be avoided since button is not really tight and you are both deep, I don't think you can be profitable in those spots with such a marginal hand.
    • DaPhunk
      I'm afraid I disagree RahXephon, BTN is not playing back at me at all, he is folding uncontested a lot of the time. Thanks for your input though.

btw, Rofl @ the fact I only just got your name! N1 ;)

oh please note, I may be opening marginal hands like this now on NL25, but this does not mean I will when I move up. I understand enough about pre-flop play to be able to fine-tune my opening ranges to the particular table I am on. Yes this OR was loose, but I had my reasons, have a huge edge post flop against any villain who is going to call me and I do NOT have a problem with negative implieds because I know exactly what my hand is. I could get in so much more trouble with a hand like AT or AJ than A7 its unbelievable.