Building grind box!

• lessthanthreee
      Hey guys,

im working towards the day when i can fulfill one of my long term poker goals and buy a new desktop PC with my winnings.

I first need to know what constitutes a bad ass poker grind box hardware wise.

I am no stranger to computers but am unsure of what i need to spend the most money on.

so far ive decided on dual 24" LCD because they are relatively cheap and awesome.

im looking for advice from anyone who knows their stuff as to what speeds/capacity etc for components i will need.

wifi card(s)?

Thanks <3
  • 12 replies
    • elhh82
      the poker clients are not too resource heavy, so any run of the mill modern desktop pc should do it.

the most important things are just the mouse and the monitors imo.
    • aciddrop
      The video card to drive two 24" monitors should be pretty good I think.

Other than that, a dual core pentium and 4Gb RAM, which is pretty much baseline these days anyway.
    • swissmoumout
      you don't actually need anything super powerful for poker, but here's a few useful things i'd get:
      intel core i7 (i don't really keep up with computer stuff lately, but i believe it's the bets processor family atm)
      a motherboard with 2 PCI-E ports (almost all of them do, but still.. if you want to add on a 3rd screen later on you'll need 2 graphics cards)

and if you can run cables around your place, then definitely get wired ethernet. More stable, a lot faster and obviously unhackable.

I have 2 24" screens (and a 22") back home, I can definitely recommend that. they're very cheap for the screen size :)
    • Ultifanatic
      Major recommondation....

A UPS unit for your PC as well as your internet modem....This is to prevent losing a big pot if your power goes out.

As for the PC....

If you are grinding max amount of table on any site, 1 step above the averaged standard PC is just fine right now.

Myself I have 3 hard drives. 1 for the OS, 1 for all program installation and 1 for all data. This way you can re-install the OS without buggering with programs or data, the Programs are seperate from data if you have to do any tweaking of things and you have 1 spot to back up data from...
    • luckysim1
      I can say one thing, make sure you dont buy Windows 7 yet! Still so many bugs with Full tilt av HEM software it makes me sick. Imagine 16 tabling then the software breaks down, and you got to press "Im back" on 16 tables :P
    • lessthanthreee
      good advice guys, thanks heaps :D
    • opal99
      i agree with what was said so far, but you guys forgot something:

^^ it's really important if you plan to spent many and many hours sitting on your ass.. Ergonomical one may be even better choice, but being comfortable is must imo =) (ergonomical & comfortable = nuts)
    • Kojika
      How much for that sir ?
    • alister15
      i want that chair. No. I NEED that chair.
    • opal99
      that one is for $155 if i remember correctly... but go to some local office furniture shop and you'll find even better ones. :)

I spent few weeks looking for perfect chair for me, but wouldnt change it for anything else now :f_cool:
    • antonin87
      oh..nice chair..need to grind harder to get one of them
    • AfterDusk
      I reccomend going to and check out their systems, I own both a lenovo desktop and laptop, both great solid machines.