This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] Instructional sample hands #3

• Poll
    • What is the correct move here and why?

check/fold
        72%
        all-in
        19%
        check/call
        6%
        bet $1
        3%
      Total: 36 Votes
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      NL25 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)

Hero ($4.25)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T :club: , T :spade: . CO posts a blind of $0,25.
      UTG+1 calls $0,25, UTG+2 calls $0,25, MP1 calls $0,25, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $0,25, CO checks, BU folds, Hero raises to $2,25, BB folds, UTG+1 calls $2,00, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls $2,00, MP3 calls $2,00, CO folds.

Flop: ($9,75) A :spade: , K :club: , 5 :club: (4 players)
      Hero ???
  • 13 replies
    • howard182
      howard182
      Bronze
      Hero hits "fold to any bet", only unchecks it if a T arrives and curses himself for raising TT in a family pot from the SB. This should be self explanatory.

EDIT: Oh, short stack, missed that. I still think that completing preflop is the right play and that as played the flop is a clear check/fold.
    • undercover82
      undercover82
      Bronze
      He should have gone directly all in preflop to avoid exactly that situation.
      He had to raise to an amount of more than half his stack preflop , so its best to go directly all in. No hard decisions on the flop after that.
    • Nunki
      Nunki
      Bronze
      I'd have pushed PF to maximize FE and save any tough decisions later in the hand.

I'm definitely pushing as played though because:

We are getting excellent odds.

We might have the best hand.

We have two backdoor draws if we are behind.

The next two players to act might throw away a K if the money is deep enough amongst the three remaining players.

I don't like betting >50% of my stack and then folding.
    • undercover82
      undercover82
      Bronze
      well ,IF everyone flat calls the all in and noone tries to isolate you get around 1 to 9.
      Against a single opponent with Ax and Kx we have around 15%. If someone has a higher club our equity drops a lot more as well. I think fold might be slightly better than going all in there , usually someone will isolate you. and your pot odds will get worse.
    • FlaviaMomo
      FlaviaMomo
      Bronze
      all in on the flop cause my odds are too good to fold
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      I fold here because they are too stupid to fold a weak ace (ok that wouldd be a correct call ^^) or a king.
    • Berliner1982
      Berliner1982
      Bronze
      What a terrible played hand here. Sorry but preflop I either way go All-In, to collect the pot or only be heads up (and if more people call, who cares then, but at least its the right deciscion), because I´m against 6 players and if one of the first 3 to act calls, the other players behind him with a pocket pair often have to odds (including implied odds) to call for set value if we standard raise here to $2,25.

If we no not like to push all-in here, because we know that 2 or 3 people would call anyway, we only complete and play for set value here ourselfs. End of story for that hand. ;)

upps, their was still a question to answer. ;)

I would play check/fold here, we have no fold equity what so ever, not even against a King. Any flushdraw, any weak Ace, any GSD will call us here on that limit.

And still it was a bad preflop play in my eyes. ;)
    • MisterB73
      MisterB73
      Bronze
      Following the SSS rules, I'd say the preflop is played ok.
      Raise (4 + limpers) x BB = 9 x BB = $2.25. The SSS says to go all-in if the raise would take 2/3 or more of our stack (which would be ~$2.85).
      Since the SSS has been carefully composed by professional players, I assume that the raise strategy of (4 + limpers) x BB is designed to get rid of the limpers with weak hands (taking implied odds into account). Also, I assume that the all-in boundary has been set to 2/3 in order to save ourselves from loosing too much if the flop is bad (which it clearly is in this case).

On the flop we don't have a made hand and can assume that there is a very reasonable chance of having a paired A or K against us now since we are up against multiple opponents.

That's why we won't do a conti bet, but just check/fold.
    • c4t0r
      c4t0r
      Bronze
      I voted for check/fold - with so many players in that hand its almost guaranteed that someone holds an ace or a king... contibet does not make any sense either with so many players in that hand.
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Here is the result:

Our remaining stack on the flop is $2 and we have a pot of $9.75. According to the short stack strategy we have to go all-in here. But is that correct? The fold equity is very low – maybe 5%. But with this pot size this is a lot. In addition we have to calculate our outs. I think in this case we have 3 outs – 2 outs for the two tens and 1 out for the backdoor straight draw and the backdoor flush draw. With 3 outs we have nearly 12% equity till the river
      But if we get a call we get odds of 2:12 or 1:6 which means that our equity is nearly 14%. With 3 outs and the marginal fold equity this move is +EV. With 2 callers this move is also +EV without fold equity.

That’s why we push here according to the strategy.

If you didn’t understand all the calculations: that doesn’t matter. It is just important that you stick to the strategy because you will get the same result.
    • Kknight
      Kknight
      Global
      Woohoo! I'm one of the five that voted for all-in...I also agree that the preflop play was terrible though. I'd have pushed preflop.

Kknight
    • Pacer357
      Pacer357
      Bronze
      I played a hand a bit similar to this the board was Ace, two bricks two suited and I had jacks with 5 opps. I pushed with about 1/10 of the pot and the guy after me pushes for a full stack. All else folded and he showed a flush draw that didn´t hit :D .
    • howard182
      howard182
      Bronze
      Good play, that guy. If we could trust NL25 opponents to do that this would be a push for me too, but with two overcards, one of which is an A, acting first before three opponents... well, it's very close but very marginally -EV I think (I don't believe in fairies or fold equity against multiple opponents when pushing 1/5 pot, however small).