MTT vs SNG +30$ BI how many fish?

• andreibalint
      andreibalint
      Bronze
      In the 30$ BI regular SNG's the number of profitable regulars is still small (around 3/9 i would say), but at the 50$ BI there are a lot of them (5-6/9 seems standard, just searched a random one and there were 7/9).

Is the situation better in MTT's? Or cash games by the way...
  • 6 replies
    • richard1817
      richard1817
      Bronze
      cash games equivalent to you would be nl100 i am guessing and that is full of nitty supernova elite chasers. Todays game is about exploiting regulars I am afraid. But Mtts still catch alot of fish so best bet is them if you like your fish.
    • andreibalint
      andreibalint
      Bronze
      Thanks man... now i'm playing 20$ and 30$ SNG's but plan to stick here for a while because of the "regulars dilemma".

Any book recomandations about exploiting the sharks? I know that if you turn them belly up they pass out. Hope it works in poker too :D
    • richard1817
      richard1817
      Bronze
      there are actual successful shark hunters. I was reading on 2p2 about a guy who plays 5/10 nlhe and he is killing the game for 5bb/100. Most of his profits are from regs because they are more predictable.... but obviously his game has taken alot of work to perfect.

Only way to beat regs I guess is to identify them and durr them, no set strategy like there is for fish. Tom Dwan been one of the most successful regularbeater's in recent times.
    • frzl
      frzl
      Bronze
      @OP
      which platform are you playing at? (did i miss it?)

the 55s/60s are definately still beatable but imo it´s getting a lot harder there. as you said: just more very solid regs. tableselection becomes more important. e.g. i wouldn´t play a game where already 6 good regulars are seated. it might still show some profit but your edge will be small, the variance high and it will just show a higher EV to open up a 33/36$ sng and play it with an expected ROI which is 2-3 times higher than in the higher sng.

the play against the regulars is kinda easy i guess. you will gain good reads pretty quickly because you are playing with them all the time and then you can try to exploit them. the good thing about solid regulars is that you can guess their ranges pretty exactly after a while. on the other hand they won´t make so many stupid mistakes like the fish obviously ;)
      on)

another important thing is that you are aware of the swings... your edge will be smaller at the 55s -> the downswings will become bigger sooner or later. combined with the almost doubled buy in this might be pretty nasty... dropping 3-4k without making any major mistakes isn´t fun :)
    • andreibalint
      andreibalint
      Bronze
      I'm playing now on Pokerstars. Didn't played much but it feels that at the 20$ level they are better than iPoker and Party.

I guess what you said only makes my goal stronger: get 3k bankroll, play 30$ sng's and stay there a while before trying to go further. Which will be hard since i'm in an 50BI downswing but whatever...
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      If SNGs were not raked as highly as they are it could be very profitable for the better players to play in the higher limit SNGs. As it stands though SNGs are among the highest raked games online.

Cash games are fun but there aren't a great deal of fish. On a typical NL 6-max cash table there will be 1-2 good players (presumably including yourself), 1 nit, 1-2 TAG and 1-2 fish. As they aren't raked nearly so high though it's still very profitable with the presence of those fish.

MTTs well... SUPER FISHY :) .