does psychology in college help?

• 6 replies
    • richard1817
      Originally posted by Leito99
      so does studying psycology in college help in poker??
      not planning it...just wondering
      what do you think??
      nah I studied psycology in college and at a-level there is no deep thinking just simply learning stuff other guys reckon is the holy grail.
    • Leito99
      wud u still recommend doing it in college cuz i know a friend who is thinking about it???
      is it interesting and can you get a job after that easily?
    • fun101rockets
      pvchology is only useful if u do a Master in it or take medecine first. otherwise it is difficult to find a decent job. everyone who is not sure about what they want to do seems to pychology and imo its a waste of time. it would be much mre usefulto just get trained in some trade (eg:plumbing). i am from canada so it might be different where you r from.
    • NickParkes
      I have studied psychology up to a postgraduate level... The money is in industrial psychology which can lead you into big business etc... as far as poker goes there is some benefit, but only after about 3 years of study when you get into some of the deeper stuff, 1st year psych is very generic and of no real use... if it is something that you are interested in then go for it, if it is something to help you get better at poker there is so much reading and studying that you can do on your own time which will be directly related to poker....
    • Optroot
      I think you asking whether or not you should take an intro psych course?

I just did this last semester. I would recommend you not take psych to improve your poker, this was basically my syllabus:

scientific method
      the brain and its functions

its not really like, "i can see into your mind and know what you are thinking". but more of "i basically know a little bit about the history of psychology, and a little about the ideas of psychology, and major experiments"

although its a super-interesting course, if the only reason you are taking it is for poker, you wont be able to apply anything to it - except utility theory.

say personality, you learn how to classify personalities based on generalizations about personality, but you dont learn anything practical enough that can help you with anything (imo).

also this course tends to have a lot of reading and you need to memorize a lot. so dont take it unless you are good at that.

that what it was like for me i dont know where you go to chool it could be a different experience for you.

I go to University of Toronto by the way.
    • coitoxin
      i'd say in a way it does help. cause you've studied person's attitude etc.. so in a way yeah it helps.