Playing Draws correctly ?

• Grailer
      Is it correct to call down with a draw or to play the draw aggressively like the hand below ?

Or should I have just called flop bet and fold or check turn ?

Hand converted with online hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)

Known players:

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6, 5.
      3 folds, CO calls $0.02, BU raises to $0.04, SB calls $0.03, Hero calls $0.02, CO calls $0.02.

Flop: ($0.16) 2, 8, 7 (4 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks, CO checks, BU bets $0.12, SB folds, Hero raises to $0.30, CO folds, BU calls $0.18.

Turn: ($0.76) 7 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.54, BU folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $0.76.
  • 4 replies
    • smock425
      My very newbie opinion - in this situation, without reads on anybody, I would not have raised the flop bet unless I was virtually certain BU would fold.

His flop bet lays ~2.5 to 1 pot odds against your 4 to 1 to make the flush, thus even factoring in implied odds merits a call at best, and I'd check/fold after missing the turn. Or maybe I'm playing too tight passive in this situation? Any more qualified opinions available?
    • Unforeseen99
      In this case you should have folded to the bet on the flop, as you do not have the odds to call, so the play was -EV.

You are also out of position, so you don't really know where you stand, even if the odds were close.

You could have bet the flop, fold to any raise, and then reevaluate on the turn. I wouldn't fire again on the turn unless you hit, you should check/fold if you miss your straight. I wouldn't fire again with bottom pair as you are likely beat.
    • thazar
      I dont think your call preflop was that wrong, I mean it is a minimum raise and and they are a few people in the hand so you can see a cheap hand.

then for the rest i think it was very bold of you and it is great that it worked but i would not do that too often. Again it is good to vary your game but as a general rule you should try to think do you have the odds to keep playing post flop.

Do you think you can take him all in if you were to hit or how much more can you take from him. If you do not hit you want as a rule of thumb to keep the pot quite small. you can bet / raise but you don't want to be so involved in the pot that you can not fold and you have nothing.

you reraise on the flop could be good but his call should worry you.

Did you ask yoursdelf these questions before betting on the turn:

- what would you have done if he had minraise you
      - what would you have done if he had push all in
      - what would you have done on the river if he had called and you did not hit.

in most case you will see that it results in a lot of chips waisted.

At this level a lot of people will call you to the end with:

- top pair
      - an over pair
      - any pair
      - A high
      - 2 high cards

and all these hands beat you at this point.

So after your check raised failed , I think check fold on the turn is more appropriate.

finally at this level avoid bluffing as much as you can as there are way too many calling stations.
    • tokyoaces
      You line on the flop would be awesome at NL25 and above.

At this limit you are just giving away money. Play a lot more straight forward because your fanciness is completely lost on players at this level. No bluffs ever is really a good rule until you get at least to NL10. (Your raise on the flop is a semi-bluff at best. You aren't even drawing to the nut OSED because a 9 fills hands that beat you.)

For the a better explanation than I can give google "A Complete Guide to Beating the Micros".