This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

The taxman

• KobeLG
      KobeLG
      Bronze
      I just read this in an article somwhere

"Despite losing out to Cada, Moon still left Las Vegas with $5.1 million in prize money, although he revealed that the taxman had taken a hefty chunk of his winnings because he is not a professional gamer."

so my question is...

how do u become a professional gamer? after all if I win big i don't want the taxman to take a hefty chunk, I much rather give him a chunk of change :f_biggrin:
  • 2 replies
    • tcs35
      tcs35
      Bronze
      the taxman will take your money regardless of whether you are a prof gambler unless you live in the UK like me and some other palces
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Hi KobeLG,

This will very much depend on each different nation and their tax laws to be honest.

I'm no expert, but I believe in the U.K. poker winnings are tax-free unless you are a professional or relying solely on poker to earn money. In this case they might well consider your 'earnings' for income tax and/or other stuff.

Someone out there in the community will know I'm sure. Which country are you most concerned about? Romania?

Best regards,

Bart