[NL2-NL10] Instructional sample hands #3 - part 2

• Poll
    • What is the correct move here and why?

bet $0.55
        50%
        bet $0.70
        25%
        bet $0.25
        13%
        check/raise
        13%
        check/call
        0%
        fold
        0%
      Total: 16 Votes
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      After we had a nice discussion about part 1, here is part 2 of the instructional sample hands #3: Assume the action is the following:

Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $5,75
      MP3:
      $6,79

0,02/0,04 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.7 by www.pokerstrategy.cc.

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with A:heart: , Q:heart:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0,16, 2 folds, MP3 calls $0,16, 4 folds.

Flop: ($0,38) J:heart: , K:diamond: , T:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0,16, MP3 calls $0,16.

Turn: ($0,70) 8:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero ???
  • 8 replies
    • Mugge88
      Mugge88
      Bronze
      Okay, here we goes:

Even though we made a terrible low bet on the flop it helped out: We got the info that the opponent isn't too scared of the board = he most likely hit something - that could be a draw, a pair or something similar. Luckily a blank turn falls (if we asume that he isnt on a backdoor draw ;) ), and we have to follow up our flop bet with a large turn bet to build up a pot. At this moment the only things that might threathen us is a river which pairs the board or a card which makes 4 to a straight on the table, which would often give us only half the pot (or at least slow down the action alot if it didn't help the villain). All in all that's alot of cards we don't wanna see, so get as much money in on the turn as possible - this is where our flop bet makes it hard. Normally I would fire full pot (or almost full pot) bets both on the flop and the turn. In this case we only fired a bet of a little less than half the pot on the flop, and a full pot bet on turn will be a very confusing line, causing many opponents to think twice before calling. On this limit we don't have to think much about such things that much, since most of the opponent players won't even notice anything anyway, so ignore the last part for now :) )

To conclude: full pot bet to build up a pot when you are sure to be ahead!

Originally posted by howard182
      You're not wrong, mugge. Hero played like a donkey.
      Yes I was wrong :P Didn't notice the change in the scenario :)
    • howard182
      howard182
      Bronze
      Okay, hero decides that building a pot only to see it taken by a rivered boat is too exploitable, so clearly he checks the turn for pot control :D

We've got a lot of money to get in and only two streets to do it now, we're clearly not going to make it and the flop call doesn't show a lot of strength. I'm inclined to say that a suspicious line actually has advantages now that we've lost about a third of our possible winnings with a normal line. Overbet.

You're not wrong, mugge. Hero played like a donkey.
    • c4t0r
      c4t0r
      Bronze
      I voted for PSB:

The continuation bet got called and the turn brings a card that is mixed news: We still hold the nuts since the board is not paired and a straightflush for villain is not possible, which is the good part. The bad part however is that there is another diamond on the board - if the river brings third diamond we may be beaten. In my opinion it is crucial to protect our hand now, therefore the PSB.
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      I voted 0.55$ and if I'm correct again I think about as NL carreer although it's not that much exciting in my opinion. (I like FL more in that point.) ^^

Check/raise might work vs aggressive players but the most NL people are too scared of betting. :D
    • howard182
      howard182
      Bronze
      The scared of betting thing is true, switching back to 6 max recently revealed that my drop in turn and river aggression is a major leak. Don't rely on your opponent betting too often!
    • Qastorimon
      Qastorimon
      Bronze
      I voted for a psb. At these limits I don't see villain call a 0,55 bet, but fold to a 0,70 bet. And all I'm interested in is potbuilding.
      If you're afraid of a 3rd diamond, then you're really looking for monsters under the bed imo.
    • undercover82
      undercover82
      Bronze
      i went for 0,55 as well. Still dont wanna scare him out of the hand but wanna build the pot at the same time. Without specific reads , check/raise is out of the question , especially on NL5 where people are really passive.
    • c4t0r
      c4t0r
      Bronze
      There are monsters under my bed!! :D

Its not that im truly scared of a third diamond, but it is possible to happen, so i am simply not willing to give him a freecard or good odds.