This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

PokerStars: Minimum Buy-In too high for playing SSS

• NevKnarf
      NevKnarf
      Basic
      Hi All!

I have been playing at PokerStars for some time, trying to put the recently discovered Short Stack Strategy to work.

However, many limits require a buy-in that is much higher than the calculated SSS buy-in.

For example: playing at a NL 0,01/0,02 table, with 1 and 2cts blinds, SSS would calculate a buy-in of 20BB (= 40 cents). Top-up and Get-out levels are at 30 cents and 50 cents respectively.

However, the required buy-in for this table at PokerStars is 1 dollar (=50BB)!

So I've played SSS with this dollar, got out at 1,10 with 10 cents profit, and topped up when I when back to 0,90.

But this really doesn't work well. Sometimes I go all-in when the charts tell me to, and lose the hand. This is quite natural, as you will not win every played hand. However, the problem is that losing the dollar I went all-in with, eats away many small profits of 10 cents. So my bankroll remains at the same level over time.

I feel that since the required buy-in is so high, the Top-up and Get-out levels should be changed as well, for the SSS to work well at PokerStars.

Does anyone have a clue what I can do to fix this? (Without having to change to another poker site.)

Hope that somebody can help me... :)
      Nev.
  • 2 replies
    • Kojika
      Kojika
      Bronze
      SSS starts at NL10
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Hello NevKnarf!

Your assumptions point towards the right direction - it is not possible to play the SSS with 50bb ($1 at the NL2 table). I suggest you try playing at the 0.025/0.05 tables (NL5) where the minimum buy in should be 20bb ($1). If it is not, then you should go to the 0.05/0.10 (NL10) tables at which you definetely will be able to buy in for $2 (20bb) while still maintatining a quite solid bankroll management of 25 buy-ins.

Regards,

Primzi