[NL2-NL10] NL10, pocket 5's

• ironmask92
      ironmask92
      Bronze
      I called pre-flop to try and hit a set, which i did, :) I just called on the flop cause i was afraid of a bigger set but when the turn came i had full house and thought maybe he's got a flush. Did i play this hand right?

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Known players:
      UTG2:
      $11.63
      MP1:
      $10.39
      MP2:
      $10.00
      MP3:
      $14.49
      CO(Hero):
      $9.85
      BU:
      $4.91
      SB:
      $10.46
      BB:
      $10.00

Preflop: Hero is CO with 5, 5.
      3 folds, MP3 calls $0.10, Hero calls $0.10, BU calls $0.10, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.45) 5, 6, 8 (4 players)
      BB checks, MP3 checks, Hero bets $0.43, BU raises to $0.86, BB folds, MP3 folds, Hero calls $0.43.

Turn: ($2.17) 6 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $0.50, Hero raises to $1.78, BU raises to $3.95, Hero calls $2.17.

River: ($10.07) 4 (2 players)

Final Pot: $10.07.

Results follow:

Hero shows a full-house, fives full of sixs(5s 5c).

BU shows a straight flush, eight high(7h Kh).

BU wins with a straight flush, eight high(7h Kh).
  • 4 replies
    • amplifyd
      amplifyd
      Bronze
      Calling because you're affraid of a bigger set is not a good thing to do imo. There are a whole range of hands he might shove with on this board which you beat - if we assume he'll shove with 66+/AhKh/47/79 then you still have 60% equity against this range.

I would just raise on flop hoping to go broke there and then but if he just calls you definetly go broke on that turn.

Also i would raise preflop.
    • ironmask92
      ironmask92
      Bronze
      Raise pre-flop with pocket 5's? What if someone re-raises pre-flop... I don't think raising with weak pocket pre-flop is a good idea.
    • kazadmaiss
      kazadmaiss
      Bronze
      its not about the poket pair, its about initiative.
      raising small PP from CU, if there hasnt been any raises before, is ok.

about play,
      raise on flop. put him all in!
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Originally posted by amplifyd
      Calling because you're affraid of a bigger set is not a good thing to do imo. There are a whole range of hands he might shove with on this board which you beat - if we assume he'll shove with 66+/AhKh/47/79 then you still have 60% equity against this range.

I would just raise on flop hoping to go broke there and then but if he just calls you definetly go broke on that turn.

Also i would raise preflop.
      I agree.

For the preflop raise look at it like that: how sad are you when you hit a set in a limped pot against a limping fish? Wouldn't it be better to have a bigger pot to take more of his money? Don't worry too much about flopping overcards you can represent them, just get used to the idea of turning 55 into a bluff c-bet, it's almost worthless as a showdown hand on lots of flops.

Hope it helps.