[NL20-NL50] JJ OOP facing river shove

• Fagin
      Hi, another decision from last night -

Cassava Poker $0.10/$0.20 No Limit Hold'em - 10 players - View hand 499268
      The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

BTN: $19.85 - Stats : 24/12/54 (252 hands)
      Hero (SB): $21.72
      BB: $22.20
      UTG: $3.10
      UTG+1: $4.49
      UTG+2: $21.24
      MP1: $19.26
      MP2: $11.04
      MP3: $9.35
      CO: $36.74

Pre Flop: ($0.30) Hero is SB with J :diamond: J :spade:
      7 folds, BTN raises to $0.80, Hero raises to $2.40, 1 fold, BTN calls $1.60

I get JJ in the SB and 3-bet the BU raise - I will sometimes flat call here but I like to vary things and this time I raised. He will call a 3bet about 40% of the time according to his stats.

Flop: ($5.00) T :spade: 6 :heart: 7 :club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.80, BTN calls $2.80

I bet out with my overpair and he flat calls - ? set, A 10, ??

Turn: ($10.60) 4 :diamond: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN checks

A blank on the turn and I check - my thinking was that he would bet a set or anything that was beating me, but he checks behind.

River: ($10.60) 3 :diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $6, BTN raises to $14.65, Hero ???

I feel that I have the best hand here so I bet enough to get called by A 10 if I am lucky. and not enough to get raised by a better hand if he has one (I hope), but he shoves ???

Should I call? Should I fold? What can I put him on that I am beating?

Perhaps I should have bet the turn? Any imput would be appreciated.
  • 2 replies
    • caltabiano

Yeah, we must bet the turn here. I mean, it's a 3b pot, SB vs BTN, we're pfa and we hold an overpair :D It's an awesome situation. We just want to get as much money in as possible, because we have the best hand here a ton!

I mean, BTN is usually 4betting QQ+ pre. So we don't have to worr much about him having an overpair. Sure, he could have a set, but there are few combinations of sets possible!

He's gonna be paying us with 88, 99, any T and maybe even lower pairs. So thre's a LOT of value on a turn bet. I'd bet something like $6 and I'm always going broke if he raises.

You say you checked turn because he bets all hands that beat you. So what's your plan? c/f turn? Don't you think he also bets AT, KT, maybe even something like JT? Or maybe even a random float like KQ, who knows?
      But he'll check back stuff like 88, 99, 97. He would, however, call a bet with these hands ;-)

As played: fold river. He's somehow just gonna have a 5 or a slowplayed 98. There's nothing that he calls flop and decides to bluff here. It's very likely he has something like 65, 75, 54 or even 55.

• Fagin
      I was at the end of a long session here and was very irritated by having to fold a lot of hands to turn or river shoves like this so I decided to just go for it.

I called his All-In and he showed 99!!!!

My JJ was good and I took down the pot - a nice way to finish the session I thought so I closed all my tables within about 5 mins and ended the day +5BI.

Cheers for the detailed evaluation - I knew I played it badly mainly due to being at the end of a long session I should have finished 30+ mins earlier.