This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL20-NL50] JJ OOP facing river shove

• Fagin
      Fagin
      Bronze
      Hi, another decision from last night -

Cassava Poker $0.10/$0.20 No Limit Hold'em - 10 players - View hand 499268
      The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

BTN: $19.85 - Stats : 24/12/54 (252 hands)
      Hero (SB): $21.72
      BB: $22.20
      UTG: $3.10
      UTG+1: $4.49
      UTG+2: $21.24
      MP1: $19.26
      MP2: $11.04
      MP3: $9.35
      CO: $36.74

Pre Flop: ($0.30) Hero is SB with J :diamond: J :spade:
      7 folds, BTN raises to $0.80, Hero raises to $2.40, 1 fold, BTN calls $1.60

I get JJ in the SB and 3-bet the BU raise - I will sometimes flat call here but I like to vary things and this time I raised. He will call a 3bet about 40% of the time according to his stats.

Flop: ($5.00) T :spade: 6 :heart: 7 :club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.80, BTN calls $2.80

I bet out with my overpair and he flat calls - ? set, A 10, ??

Turn: ($10.60) 4 :diamond: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN checks

A blank on the turn and I check - my thinking was that he would bet a set or anything that was beating me, but he checks behind.

River: ($10.60) 3 :diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $6, BTN raises to $14.65, Hero ???

I feel that I have the best hand here so I bet enough to get called by A 10 if I am lucky. and not enough to get raised by a better hand if he has one (I hope), but he shoves ???

Should I call? Should I fold? What can I put him on that I am beating?

Perhaps I should have bet the turn? Any imput would be appreciated.
  • 2 replies
    • caltabiano
      caltabiano
      Bronze
      Hey!

Yeah, we must bet the turn here. I mean, it's a 3b pot, SB vs BTN, we're pfa and we hold an overpair :D It's an awesome situation. We just want to get as much money in as possible, because we have the best hand here a ton!

I mean, BTN is usually 4betting QQ+ pre. So we don't have to worr much about him having an overpair. Sure, he could have a set, but there are few combinations of sets possible!

He's gonna be paying us with 88, 99, any T and maybe even lower pairs. So thre's a LOT of value on a turn bet. I'd bet something like $6 and I'm always going broke if he raises.

You say you checked turn because he bets all hands that beat you. So what's your plan? c/f turn? Don't you think he also bets AT, KT, maybe even something like JT? Or maybe even a random float like KQ, who knows?
      But he'll check back stuff like 88, 99, 97. He would, however, call a bet with these hands ;-)

As played: fold river. He's somehow just gonna have a 5 or a slowplayed 98. There's nothing that he calls flop and decides to bluff here. It's very likely he has something like 65, 75, 54 or even 55.

Cheers!
    • Fagin
      Fagin
      Bronze
      I was at the end of a long session here and was very irritated by having to fold a lot of hands to turn or river shoves like this so I decided to just go for it.

I called his All-In and he showed 99!!!!

My JJ was good and I took down the pot - a nice way to finish the session I thought so I closed all my tables within about 5 mins and ended the day +5BI.

Cheers for the detailed evaluation - I knew I played it badly mainly due to being at the end of a long session I should have finished 30+ mins earlier.