This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] SSS FR NL25 - High Pockets with Overcards - 2 Hands

• Kknight
      Kknight
      Global
      Hand 1:
      No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (8 handed)

Hero ($6.70)
      UTG+1 ($5.75)
      MP1 ($25)
      MP2 ($54.90)
      CO ($18.15)
      Button ($12.30)
      SB ($11.50)
      BB ($12.65)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K:heart: , K:club: .
      [color:#CC3333]Hero raises to $1[/color], [color:#666666]3 folds[/color], CO calls $1, [color:#666666]2 folds[/color], BB calls $0.75.

Flop: ($3.10) 8:spade: , 7:club: , A:heart: [color:#0000FF](3 players)[/color]
      BB checks, [color:#CC3333]Hero bets $1.5[/color], [color:#CC3333]CO raises to $3[/color], BB folds, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $6.10

Should I have checked here against two opponents, or was the c-bet OK with KK? Was the fold to the raise correct?

Hand 2:
      No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (9 handed)

Hero ($5)
      MP3 ($15.40)
      CO ($23.65)
      Button ($50.65)
      SB ($36.40)
      BB ($25)
      UTG ($11.40)
      UTG+1 ($15.85)
      MP1 ($48.70)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J:club: , J:spade: .
      [color:#666666]1 fold[/color], [color:#CC3333]UTG+1 raises to $0.5[/color], [color:#666666]1 fold[/color], [color:#CC3333]Hero raises to $1.5[/color], [color:#666666]5 folds[/color], UTG+1 calls $1.

Flop: ($3.35) A:diamond: , 4:club: , A:spade: [color:#0000FF](2 players)[/color]
      UTG+1 checks, [color:#CC3333]Hero bets $1.75[/color], [color:#CC3333]UTG+1 raises to $3.5[/color], Hero folds.

Final Pot: $6.85

Obvious fold to the check-raise? Should I have made a bigger c-bet based on my stack size?

Thanks,
      Kknight
  • 7 replies
    • Berliner1982
      Berliner1982
      Bronze
      I think that your fold in both hands where ok.
      But one important advice for you. Try to contibet (nevertheless you hit or missed the flop) with 2/3 of the pot, so your opponents will not know what you have.

But if you contibet with 1/2 of the pot when you missed and around pot when you hitted you become very readable. So everytime c-bet and valuebet with 2/3 of the pot. :)
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      2) If you decide to re-raise here with JJ then go all-in on the flop or check/fold it. Imo there´s no point making contibet, because your stack is the same big as the pot.
    • Kknight
      Kknight
      Global
      Originally posted by Berliner1982
      But if you contibet with 1/2 of the pot when you missed and around pot when you hitted you become very readable. So everytime c-bet and valuebet with 2/3 of the pot. :)
      Not to worry, I don't size my bet based on hit or miss, but rather on board texture. Regardless of whether I hit or not, I typically bet 1/2 pot on a relatively drawless board, 2/3 on a somewhat drawish board, and pot on a very drawish board. Is this OK? Or is there another reason for sticking to 2/3 pot rather than half?

I find that the majority of the time my stack size is close to or only slightly larger than pot size...this being the case, if I'm going to be betting 2/3 pot as my standard c-bet, I'm going to be better off going all-in most of the time. That is another reason that I have standardized on 1/2 pot. What do you think?

Thanks,
      Kknight
    • Berliner1982
      Berliner1982
      Bronze
      Their is no reason to bet pot on a very drawish board if you do not have anything, but you tell me you do it, but if you bet 2/3 you invest less and your Fold Equity will be nearly the same (a Flush or good Flushdraw calls eitherway your Potbet or your 2/3 Potbet anyway).

So betting 2/3 of the pot anytime give your opponents no clue at all what you have. ;)
    • Kknight
      Kknight
      Global
      OK, so you're saying to use 2/3 pot pretty much 100% of the time? Never vary the size for any reason? Just want to clarify...

Thanks,
      Kknight
    • howard182
      howard182
      Bronze
      There are lots of valid reasons to vary your cbet size. The most important for a short stack in my opinion is to give yourself an easy decision on the next street or if faced with a raise. 2/3 is a good value to tend towards though, and full pot is really so very rarely appropriate.

However, certain boards you do want to tend towards 1/2 pot against normal opponents. These are boards which you are moderately likely to be ahead on but which are fairly hard to hit in general. The AA4 board is a good example of that (though KK4 is better).
    • Nunki
      Nunki
      Bronze
      1)When you bet out with KK (on an A-high board) versus a tight/decent/straightforward opponent(s) then the only time you will get action on your bet is when you are beat.

A loose-passive/agg opponent will however sometimes give you action when you are ahead but a cheap SD is often a good direction to head. Some L-P types will call PF with a small A and check it down (especially multi-way).

I find some loose-agg opponents very difficult to credit with a hand in many situations. Depending on pot/stack sizes, no. of opponents and action I will sometimes c/r AI if OOP or if IP check behind and call ANY turn bet.

Some savvy types may also see a flop check in a multiway pot as an indicator that you have trash on the flop and your hand CAN SOMETIMES have more value as a bluff-catcher once again.

Therefore I wouldn't have bet that flop. I would have checked in the hope of receiving some additional information.

As Berliner mentions, it is sometimes necessary to hide information from your opponents by varying your bet-sizes. If you suspect that this is necessary (perhaps your opponent has 11/8/2ish stats with a 20% ats is from Germany and is therefore likely a PS member themselves) then 2/3 pot bets make sense. You could even try to value-bet with 1/2 pot bets as well if you think these will get you extra action when you want it. There are lots of ways that can make youself a more difficult opponent to play against.

Originally posted by howard182
      There are lots of valid reasons to vary your cbet size. The most important for a short stack in my opinion is to give yourself an easy decision on the next street or if faced with a raise.
      Size of pot, size of stack and opponent (also). Quite how you use this info. to choose an optimum bet-size I'm not too sure. I for one would be very intersted to know what has been said on this very important subject in the German Forum.