NL10 opponents

Bronze
      I'm playing NL10 for quite a while now and can't advance to NL25. When I first started out on NL10 using SSS, I was amazed at how successful I was. People went all-in and called my raises with trash so often that I started to think one can really earn some serious money just by playing against the poor micro-limit players. I almost advanced through NL10 in just ONE day. Now, I don't know if that was luck or what, but seriously, ever since that first time I've been doing so much worse.

If there is anything strange I have observed during the last few days it is my opponents. They have become so much tighter that I almost always win only the blinds with my good hands or end up in an all-in against stronger cards or a coin-flip card set-up at best. Is this supposed to be so on NL10? I have recently added some occasional improvised blind steal technique which seems to have helped a little, but doesn't bring in any money. I also play a tiny little bit more loosely against tables where poker seems to have become a little too tight. Are the SSS players really supposed to win money only by doing great reads and stealing blinds or gambling? On the higher limits perhaps, but surely not NL10?
  • 6 replies
    • wtfdude
      wtfdude
      Bronze
      Hi!

I have the same problem and I think its becouse of this...

My best SSSing was on FTP but you cant play there anymore with 20bb so its pretty sux.. :/ Why SSS worked best on FTP? Becouse there is so many ppl that even if they make some notes on you theres still low chance to meet them again so your opponents wont know that you are playing SSS, that you are tight.. and of course on FTP is 27% dealt rb.

So I would recommend you to play on BIG sites with DEALT RAKE(!!!) and of course some nice bonuses (biggest SSS profits are from rb, bonuses..).. btw when I say BIG site I mean something like +100k ppl! I think pokerstars might be great but I dont know how profitable is NL10 if u play just with PS starting bonus.. is there anyone whos playing NL10 SSS on pokerstars?

Btw my whole post was about NL10.. I dont know how things work on higher limits so dont blame me :f_p: . I tried SSS on bwin, cake, everest, ftp and some other smaller sites and it was always the same bigger site = bigger profit.
      Bronze
      I usually play at somewhere around 04.00 ET - 17.00 ET because of the timezone I'm in. Could that be a reason I'm up against tight players most of the time? Because the best time to play, I think, is during the weekends on evenings or at nights when there are more fish to be liberated from their money.

To ask a specific question - is it ok to play against any kind of players, including tight and even TAG's (as long as they're not SSS players too) to be profitable?

BTW, I actually happen to be playing SSS on PS NL10 as well.
    • Ishindar
      Ishindar
      Bronze
      no its not ok. u shouldnt play against tight players its a waste of your time. your time would be better spent trying to get into lose tables with 1 or more fish. if the vpip of the table is less than 20 u should not bother with it. u shoudl take table selection a lot more seriously as it is one big factor in profit making.
      Bronze
      Which software shows VPIP percentage?

Just a quick thought - what is a short stack strategy player supposed to do on the higher limits, where your opponents are even tighter?
    • Ishindar
      Ishindar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Avatars91
      Which software shows VPIP percentage?

Just a quick thought - what is a short stack strategy player supposed to do on the higher limits, where your opponents are even tighter?
      holdem manager shows table vpip and is well worth every cent u pay for it.
      there are fish at all levels. your mark is the fish not the tags etc.
      the basic sss can be developed into an advanced strategy that works well at higher limits also.
      as your game improves so will your table selection and seat selection etc as these are some of the fundamentals of profitable poker.
      Bronze
      Thanks for the great advice ;) You probably saved me a lot of time and pointless effort.