NL5 swingy, seeking some advice

• michaelqian
      michaelqian
      Bronze
      Hi all

I play at Full Tilt.

Seems to me that I've been having a lot of variance lately on NL5. I'm finding NL5 definitely harder than NL2 over the same number of hands, probably due to variance? I can confidently say that most of the stacks I lost are due to bad beats or coolers, like set/set or KK vs AA.

On NL2 over the same number of hands, I have already won about 40 stacks. While on NL5, it's only about 7 stacks.

But there are leaks in my game that I will need to improve on.

Anyway, just by looking at this graph, will there be any advice you can give? i.e. Is this swing quite normal due to variance? Or there are many areas I need to improve upon?

Thanks a lot
  • 4 replies
    • FakeLunatic
      FakeLunatic
      Bronze
      Hi.

It's hard to say just from graph, but maybe you are too agressive of a player, and lose alot when opponents hit board, or you are just in a middle of a semi-downswing. Graph like me happens to me too, but in smaller samples, I always manage to come out on top due to having very bad players play vs me.

I am also a NL5 player, so we can talk about OUR limit on skype :)
    • michaelqian
      michaelqian
      Bronze
      The downswing seems to continue, lost another 2 stacks due to cooler beats.

This pattern has been happening ever since I started NL5, up a few stacks, then immediately down a few stacks.

It's almost like the poker gods are instructing the bad beats to happen everytime I win something.

Just now I won a stack, almost immediately my KK ran into AA preflop and there goes the stack I've just won.
    • SheepMoose
      SheepMoose
      Bronze
      Set yourself a 1BI stop loss. As soon as you've lost 1BI just stop, unclick autopost, sit out and take a break. If you continue trying to grind back you're lost money while playing your B/C game you're destined to have a variance filled game.
    • Ave27
      Ave27
      Bronze
      I've been having the same problem. I don't tilt very often, but i've had some sick beats, kids calling my AA with 7,3s and hitting the flush, and all sorts of fun stuff. so i've had to take a few more breaks. When you hit top pair with a high kickers its pretty easy to win the money tho. Kids calling with 3rd pair and what not, so just ride out your beats.