Turn: Bet Before, I Call with Overpair, Raise After

• Navrark
      Navrark
      Bronze
      Hello all,

I am playing with my Poker Simulation software, practicing the amazing amount of material found in the Basic section of the FL course.

There is so much info in there it will be a few days before I can digest it all so I am not going to try the quiz until I get all of this down pat.

Anyway, here is my situation:

Flop/Turn:

5d 9d Kh Ts

I have AA

One player bet before me on the Turn. According to the chart I am supposed to call, which I did. But now a player raised after me, another called, and the original better called the raise.

Should I now refer to the "There Is Exactly One Bet Behind You" part of the chart? It says that I should call with my Overpair. Or perhaps I should refer to the "Someone Bet And Was Raised Once Or Even Multiple Times" part of the chart? In that case I would fold my Overpair.

I suspect someone has QJ so in real life I would probably fold. Let me check their hole cards... The original better has QQ, the raiser has TT for a Set and the last player has KQ. Well, I was right that I was beaten, so a fold would be correct. But what if I didn't think I was beaten?

Thanks,

Nav
  • 2 replies
    • Navrark
      Navrark
      Bronze
      Okay, now another question. What if I have a pocket pair a higher card on the table?

I have QQ and against two opponents the Flop brings:

2s 3s Kc

The first player checked and now it's my turn to act. Of course I should do the continuation bet, but what if I get called or raised?

Alright, I did the continuation bet and one player folded and the first to act who checked before called me. Now my remaining opponent has bet on the Turn after Check-Calling me on the Flop.

Turn card: 5d

Now fish will call a raised pot with almost anything and I have my opponents set to fish mode, so it's possible he limped with A4 or less likely 64 and then called my raise pre-flop. He may also have a K and just be passive.

What is the proper play now? The chart says to fold with anything less than Top Pair or an Overpair, but I am not certain that he has a pair of Kings.

I just checked his hole cards and he has A2o, so he is hoping to get lucky. Clearly a fold here would be a bad idea.
    • Navrark
      Navrark
      Bronze
      ?( More questions here, sorry.

I now have JJ which I raised from the early position. I had one caller and the Flop came this way:

Qh Th 7c

My opponent just bet and now I have to decide what to do. I don't have an overpair so it appears that I should fold, but according to the chart if I have any pair on the river heads up, that I should call.

These charts are very detailed but still with so many possible outcomes they don't cover everything.

Okay, I called the Flop and we both checked the Turn and now he checked the River. My poker software says I ought to bet. The charts tell me nothing.

Well, I bet and took the pot. It was pretty clear that he was weak. He held T3 for 2nd pair.

Nav