Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      BB:
      $4.04
      Hero:
      $7.32

0.02/0.04 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.73 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A:club: , K:heart:
      Hero raises to $0.24, 5 folds, BB calls $0.20.

Flop: ($0.50) 9:diamond: , 2:club: , 8:diamond: (2 players)
      BB bets $0.24, Hero calls $0.24.

Turn: ($0.98) 7:diamond: (2 players)
      BB bets $0.47, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $1.45

Just unsure of optimal play here.. I didn't have anything for reads so I don't know if the 1/2 pot bet was just a sizing error or something else.. I figured he may have been drawing so that turn card wasn't what I wanted to see.
  • 3 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

I don't know why you opened to 6x in the first place.

On the flop i don't like just calling, against pretty much anyone. 9d8dx can and will get so ugly so often on later streets that AK-high really doesn't have all that much value calling down. If you think he's weak turn your hand into a 6-out semi-bluff and raise it up, otherwise just fold it.

Hope it helps.
    • Unforeseen99
      Unforeseen99
      Bronze
      I always open with 6bb at NL4, is this OK as long as i'm always doing it?

I've been much more successful at 6bb then at 3bb, but perhaps i'm on a heater
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

If you get the same action while opening bigger there certainly isn't anything wrong with it, after all the goal is to get into big pots with big hands and AK fits that category preflop. That makes sense at nl4 where the fish probably don't care much about how big the bet they have to call is. Just make sure you can recognize the situations where doing it hurts you, so that it doesn't become a bad habit.

Hope it helps.