Prefer Bet Or All-In?

• Navrark
      Navrark
      Bronze
      Greetings,

If I see flop and have hit top pair I am supposed to bet 2/3 of the pot, and if that 2/3 is more than half my bankroll I am supposed to go All-In.

What if that 2/3 is borderline, right about half my bankroll? Do I prefer the All-In or do I prefer just a bet?

I suppose the advantage to the All-In is that you can take the pot without seeing anymore cards. The disadvantage is that you are less likely to get a call.

Thoughts?
  • 7 replies
      Bronze
      Good question. Wouldn't mind to hear an answer too, since I find myself often in such situations. Any thoughts anyone?
    • flopraiser
      flopraiser
      Bronze
      If you push all in with a bet over the size of the pot on the flop you are only getting called by better hands and getting weaker hands to fold imo, 2/3 bet on the flop then push all in on the turn. This way drawing hands might still call your continuation flop bet so you gain maximum value. With top pair good kicker on SSS your looking to get your stack in for value not frighten weaker hands away on the flop. With a 2/3 pot size bet there's very few draws that are getting the right odds to call against a short stack but plenty at these limits that will.

A lot of players will call down a reasonable bet (2/3 pot size for example) with second even third pair ,the majority of people you play in the micro limits won't have any idea what the SSS involves.
      Bronze
      Even if 2/3 of the pot = >1/2 of your stack?
    • flopraiser
      flopraiser
      Bronze
      Stick to the strategy guide is my advice, my only point was to not put a big overbet on the flop to scare away weaker hands where your 2/3 pot size bet is equivilent to less or equal to half of your remaining stack.
    • Navrark
      Navrark
      Bronze
      Thanks FlopRaiser.

With a 2/3 size bet they won't have the pot odds, but since most don't know squat about outs and odds, they just look at the price. If the price seems low they will call. Of course if they stay in the pot we'll also get burnt on the River more often as well. But I suspect that the over-all value will be better long term.

Nav
    • tigerK
      tigerK
      Bronze
      If it's borderline, do prefer the simple bet. You will be paid by a weaker range = you will earn more money.
    • Tampaloeres81
      Tampaloeres81
      Bronze
      I prefer to just shove it on a drawy board. People on low limits think that a shove looks weak and call with crap.

T.