I suffered Hard and long BAD BEATS

• Agiz19
      Agiz19
      Bronze
      I lost over 300 $ in the past two days all with strong hands like AA,KK,AK,QQ,JJ,and also some lower pockets I hit a set on flop and I was beaten till river every time I played those cards.... IT IS TRULLY UNBELIEVABLE!!!

even with overpairs top pairs always there was someone to crack me...Does PP has a downswing list if u clib up fast. I made 300 dollars from 20 in one day...I played well every time I played and did not bet on trash hands and trying to bluff my way out of the situation!

Does anyone has some advice!
  • 35 replies
    • howard182
      howard182
      Bronze
      Check the bankroll management articles again, it sounds like you're underrolled for the limits you're playing. Everyone gets bad beats (although I really suspect that not all of those hands were played perfectly), so having a bankroll which can easily absorb them and other short term variance is important.

Otherwise, post some of your hands.
    • klonoa
      klonoa
      Bronze
      Yea, running $20 to $300 in a day tells alot about your bankroll management.
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi Aqiz!

Which limits do you play? To make $300 out of $20 is only possible if you play higher limits than we recommend in our bankroll management articles. I strongly recommend that you reread all the strategy articles and that you post some of your hands in our sample hands boards. This way you get advice from other players and can improve your game.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • sismis
      sismis
      Bronze
      with such swings you probably play no limit with big stack? you need to learn how to fold or not bet strong preflop hands after seen flop with full stack. they tend to lose quite often and are not worth risking whole stack unless you are sure of what you are doing.
    • Agiz19
      Agiz19
      Bronze
      I played NL 0,10/0,25 till I had 100 $ and then I moved to NL50$ tables and went in half big stack and played those tables 2 at a time.
    • rafayel66
      rafayel66
      Bronze
      You really need to read again the Bankroll management article.. You are so underrolled :baby:
    • howard182
      howard182
      Bronze
      If it's not already in there, bankroll questions should be added to the quiz (and passing should be impossible if you get them wrong).
    • SonicXT
      SonicXT
      Bronze
      The problem is that some people, including me at first, are a bit careless. I don't think it's abnormal for people to want to play BSS instead of SSS, but there are only 2 articles for bronze players on bankroll management : the limit article and the short stack article.
      Me too assumed too fast that for BSS it wouldn't differ that much...

Personally, I'm afraid it's a common mistake and maybe there should be an articles on playing BSS (even if it's only 2 $ on a 2/4c table) and it's bankroll management available to the newer players.
      I realised my error just in time ...
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      giving acces to bss articles to basic/bronze players only invites players to play bss, while you shouldn't. If you are in fact a maniac, and also know how to handle a big stack, then try sit & go's (30-50 buy-ins required) or mtt (100 buy-ins required). That's no limit hold'em for people with balls. I play both, and like the latter a lot better!
    • SonicXT
      SonicXT
      Bronze
      :evil: I have my severe downswing today, from almost 50$ back to 15$ thanks to garbage hands like these X(

0,02/0,04 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.9 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with K:spade: , K:heart:
      MP2 folds, MP3 calls $0,04, CO folds, Hero raises to $0,16, 2 folds, MP3 raises to $8,35 (All-In), Hero calls $8,19.

Flop: ($16,76) 4:club: , 2:club: , T:spade:
      Turn: ($16,76) 5:heart:
      River: ($16,76) J:club:

Final Pot: $16,76

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows [ Ks, Kh ] a pair of Kings
      MP3 shows [ 3s, Ad ] a straight Ace to Five
      MP3 wins $16.63 USD with a straight, Ace to Five.

or

0,02/0,04 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.9 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is SB with K:heart: , K:diamond:
      2 folds, MP2 calls $0,04, 3 folds, Hero raises to $0,20, BB raises to $2,11 (All-In), MP2 calls $2,07, Hero raises to $4,02, MP2 raises to $2,69 (All-In).

Flop: ($8,82) J:heart: , 2:heart: , A:diamond:
      Turn: ($8,82) 5:spade:
      River: ($8,82) 2:club:

Final Pot: $8,82

Results follow (highlight to see):
      BB shows [ 8d, Qd ] a pair of Twos
      MP2 shows [ 4s, Ac ] two pairs, Aces and Twos
      Hero shows [ Kh, Kd ] two pairs, Kings and Twos
      Hero wins $1.33 USD with two pairs, Kings and Twos.
      MP2 wins $1.10 USD with two pairs, Aces and Twos.
      MP2 wins $6.02 USD with two pairs, Aces and Twos.

plus
      - K flush to A flush
      - AA vs QQ allin, flop Q
      - AK vs KK allin (acceptable to me)
      - QJs in hand BB unraised, board T92-8-8 (nut straight vs river fullhouse (T8)

Now I need ritalin :(
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      thats 5 dollars, where is the other 30$?

You didn't stick to sss, i can tell, because it is impossible to lose 35$ in one day with sss on 0.02/0.04 tables. You probably tilted. K's get cracked sometimes, happens, get used to it.

You are on a 4 cent bb table, and you have over 4$ in your stack, that is impossible on sss, because 4 cents*20 = 80 cents, which should be your buy in, and i dont believe you got from 0.80 to 4$ and then back to little, in 1 round. You tilted.

And btw. your hands are great, i havent seen QQ AA or KK in over 400 hands now.... and i still made money!
    • SonicXT
      SonicXT
      Bronze
      That's 11 $ ... the other were the other hands that I didn't show but mentioned. There is 2 hands per post limit I read in the rules ;)
      I'm understacked for any limit at the moment, also for NL10 SSS and SSS doesn't even apply to NL5 (min buyin is 50BB)

And those are good hansd, but also the most painful ... it's like throwing up dices and paying up only when it comes us 6 ... coming up 6 four times in a just over a 1 in 1200 chance, it's possible.

Until (and if) I get my bankroll up, I'll always have to play shortstacked.

You will start with our $50. With this amount you should start at the lowest limit.

So you should start your career on the $0.02/$0.4 tables.

Level 1: NL $0.02/$0.04
      Move up to level 2 with: $200

You should play NL $0.02/$0.04 until you have $200 on your account. Then you should move up to level 2, playing NL $0.5/$0.10
      Which is what I have done. :)
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      where is the min. buy in 50bb? If it is, sss is not a good strategy. If you want to play sss, you have to stick to the 20bb rule, imo it's one of the most important ones. And your odd explanation didnt make any sense to me.

And why are you complaining about a downswing if you are up to 200$???

And wth, you had 8$ at a 4 cent table???? that is impossible. If you have won ANY money (stick to the 20% up rule) you should LEAVE the table, not gamble on a hand. Gambling is more for Blackjack.
    • SonicXT
      SonicXT
      Bronze
      What part are you not understanding ?
      In the silver article, it says that with 50$, you should start playing BSS at the 2/4c tables who offer a minimum buy in of 50BB (2$) and a max of 125 BB (5$)
      This was BSS...

So with 50$, you can either play BSS NL5 understacked or SSS NL10, but also understacked if you're below 50$ at a moment.
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      ouch, i don't understand:

a) why they would advice anyone to play bss with only 10 buy ins, 10 buy ins is nothing.

b) why anyone would take the advice and play bss, which is harder then sss. You went all in AK vs. KK, while with AK, you have at best a coinflip, you hoped for AQ. You played QJ, but that is probably the most important hand you posted, because that's where you have to play the flop right.

The point is, I know from tournament play, that having a ss makes you postflop game very easy, because you don't have a postflop game. Playing the flop is hard, and something you have to learn, and on which you have to study. Playing shorstacked means pushing if the odds look ok, so you don't really need a brain to be able to play sss.

I had kings cracked 3 times in a row a couple of days ago, and it made me laugh my *** of to be honest. That's the dangerous thing about bss. I play tournament, so it costed me 12$ on a 950$ bankroll. I just don't care if that happens. But with only 10 buy-ins I would probably have been furious. I would switch to sss if I were you, and stick with it until you have enough buy-ins to play shorthanded.
    • SonicXT
      SonicXT
      Bronze
      I understand, but with a bankroll of 25 $ at the moment I'm also 50 % underrolled for the nl10 SSS.
      It's a tough choice :D

The thing is, my post flop is not bad, I read the silver articles and about 75 % of it I knew and apply already.
      But on NL5 you often have to go allin preflop and that's where it goes wrong :)

But ok, point taken, I guess I have to choice but to play NL10 SSS even though I hate SSS :D
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi SonicXT!

There was a mistake in the bankroll management article. It's fixed now. You need at least $100 to start with the BSS. I hope that you are back on track soon and are successfull with the SSS.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • undercover82
      undercover82
      Bronze
      Let's be honest , i 've seen you being pretty critical of the strategies of this site and you said that you will go "your way" , but as you see with your way you have almost gone bankrupt on the lowliest and easiest of limits. That is certainly not just a downswing and bad luck , your game is probably not as strong as you believe either , so i would suggest that you stick close to the SSS for now even if it seems mechanical to you , and when you have become a better player and with a bankroll that gives you some more freedom , you can choose for yourself what playing style you want to use and add your own elements to the strategies.
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      What I forgot to mention: It is very important not only to read the strategy articles, but also to post some hands you have played in our sample hands boards and to watch our live coachings to find possible mistakes and to improve your game.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81