[NL2-NL10] Nl10 re-steal w AJ vs minbet and caller

• Bubalus
      Bubalus
      Bronze
      I observed the table for a while and noticed that those players tend to limp or minbet. For me it seemed a bit passive play, so I thought my AJ is good for re-stealing. No stats, just some notes. Was it ok to do this? It was my first re-steal attempt if that matters.

In addition, I watched AnnaKurnikowa video, where he stated that you can treat minbets as limpers. So my second option would have been to raise $0.80 and shove flop if hit. Which move is better?

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      MP2:
      $1.85
      MP3:
      $7.10
      CO:
      $6.59
      BU:
      $7.46
      SB:
      $14.07
      BB(Hero):
      $1.85
      UTG1:
      $2.97
      UTG2:
      $7.64
      MP1:
      $1.85

Preflop: Hero is BB with J, A.
      5 folds, CO raises to $0.20, BU folds, SB calls $0.15, Hero raises to $1.85, 2 folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $0.4.
  • 4 replies
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Hey Bubalus,

1. Nice hand. CO's openraise is considered a steal and standard resteal range is AJ+/88+ against unknown players.

2. When you decide to treat minraisers as limpers it's wise to know whether they minraise often or that they minraise bad hands, because some players tend to minraise monsters. I usually don't like treating complete unknown minraiser as 2 limpers, but it also depends on the site where you play and what's average opponent on your site/limit like.

3. Always push when you resteal and always push when you sit in the blinds and there are 3+ limpers in the pot, other play will just lead you into trouble, because you'll be commited and out of position postflop.

Regards,
      burek2000
    • Bubalus
      Bubalus
      Bronze
      Thanks a lot for the advice about when to push. Do you suggest to adapt re-stealing into my play? Like I mentioned before, I haven`t practiced it before nor haven`t I read any articles about re-steals. I might decide to test the waters with re-stealing and use the range you suggested. Certainly I would push with this range when there are limpers.

About minraisers: One of them had a 70% playing range preflop(Poker tracker) and they usually folded when facing aggression. I was quite confident that they would have raised more with good hands.
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Bubalus
      Thanks a lot for the advice about when to push. Do you suggest to adapt re-stealing into my play? Like I mentioned before, I haven`t practiced it before nor haven`t I read any articles about re-steals. I might decide to test the waters with re-stealing and use the range you suggested. Certainly I would push with this range when there are limpers.

About minraisers: One of them had a 70% playing range preflop(Poker tracker) and they usually folded when facing aggression. I was quite confident that they would have raised more with good hands.
      I think implementing standard resteal range in your play shouldn't cause you any problems, so I think it's ok to upgrade your game with this. However, if you don't feel comfortable doing so it's also fine to wait till you get access to some videos and articles on this topic.

And with such a read on minraisers it's perfectly fine to treat them as limpers.
    • Bubalus
      Bubalus
      Bronze
      I think I am gonna try it out then. Thanks again.