[NL2-NL10] NL5 92o freeplay from BB

• snowylee
      snowylee
      Bronze
      0,02/0,04 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.7 by www.pokerstrategy.cc.

Preflop: Hero is BB with 2:spade: , 9:heart:
      UTG folds, UTG+1 calls $0,04, 5 folds, BU calls $0,04, SB folds, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0,14) 9:diamond: , 2:heart: , 8:heart: (3 players)
      Hero bets $0,14, UTG+1 folds, BU raises to $0,28, Hero raises to $0,80, BU calls $0,52.

Would it have been better to have gone with a call here?

Turn: ($1,74) 6:heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $1,50, Hero folds.

How should I have played the turn? As I played now and if I wouldve only called the flop.

Final Pot: $3,24
  • 10 replies
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi snowylee!

Only calling the flop is not an option because he could semi-bluff raise you with a flushdraw/straightdraw or overcards here. So reraise flop is fine. You have to protect your hand. I would bet the turn (~1) to look if I'm really up against a flush and fold to any further action. check/fold is too weak imo.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • Zeffke
      Zeffke
      Bronze
      I agree with Puschkin, I hate those two pair-hands.

Now I have a new question:

We act like Puschkin says and he calls our turnbet. What to do on the river then?
    • MMa7
      MMa7
      Bronze
      We hit our 9 and we're allin, baby! :)

Seriously, depends on which card falls/stack size. Probably a c/c if he doesn't push/bet too much.
    • snowylee
      snowylee
      Bronze
      Ok thx Puschkin, and yeah I really thought about how stupid I was just making a check on the turn there after making such a strong play on the flop. And thx Zeffke for making a good follow-up question :)
    • altruist
      altruist
      Bronze
      Probably best to wait for Pushkin's reply, but until then:

I'd recommend making another bet on the river, but not too large considering the possibility you're beat. Do not make a weak bet that clearly shows weakness, or he might take advantage of that. Something like 1/3 to 2/3 of the pot.

If he re-raises you, two things:
      1. You're probably beat.
      2. He's not likely to let go of his hand.

Alternatively, you could check the river. If you were last to act, that's probably the best move unless you believe he would fold to a raise.

If you're first to act, I'd definitely raise.
    • Zeffke
      Zeffke
      Bronze
      @Altruist: I would check/call the river if his bet is about 1/2 pot. If you bet out yourself I should bet at least 1/2 pot, because when I see a 1/3pot bet I think that's pretty weak. So other players will think that too when they see it and take advantage as u mentioned
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      As MMa7 already pointed out: it depends on the card which falls on the river. But in general I would prefer a so called blocking bet ~1/3 of the pot. If villain raises you can be sure that you are beat because he wouldn't do that too often as a bluff. More often he would raise you on the river with a better hand than our weak two pair. A check/call isn't an option for me because if he bets big you have to fold, too. A blocking bet allows you to see a relatively cheap showdown. If you get raised here you normally have the worse hand as already pointed out.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • Zeffke
      Zeffke
      Bronze
      @Puschkin: Isn't it better to make a standard halfpot bet then? Because when i see a small bet on the river i think it means weakness (which it obviously does) and so people can take advantage of it. When betting 1/2 pot, your input is a little more but the chance of being bluffed out at the river reduces. So all together maybe a halfpot bet is as +EV as an blockbet?
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      The thing is that you want to see the showdown as cheap as possible. And if someone has a really strong hand he also raises a half pot size bet. And as I said before: The probability of a bluff raise from the opponent is not that high because a 1/3 potsize bet can also mean that it is a valuebet. I often valuebet only 1/3 of the pot to get credit if I make my blocking bets and want to see a cheap showdown.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • Zeffke
      Zeffke
      Bronze
      Ah OK, For valuebetting I use 1/2 potsize bet so that's why it sounded more logical to make also a 1/2 bet as blockbet. But i'll try them both out as well and look wat fits best ;) Tnx for the tip again.