My second day at NL200

• howard182
      howard182
      Bronze
      1199 hands, -$1391.84. My shot at NL200 is obviously over, but I need some way to understand what, if anything, I did wrong other than one expensive typo on a possibly ill advised third barrel.

The big pots alone won't do, something was up globally here, so posting select hands is going to be approximately useless. Advice?
  • 10 replies
    • undercover82
      undercover82
      Bronze
      7 stacks is pretty bad , the only obvious mistake is that you should have quit a lot faster. I believe you should post hands anyway (not just badbeats) where you are not sure about your play.
      It seems to me in general that PP is rather punishing when you try to climb a limit X( . An obvious disadvantage is that when you are new to a level , you dont have stats on most of your opponents.
      Maybe you also played too many tables at once before getting used to the new level. I think it might be good to slowly integrate the bigger tables in your game , by replacing one of your current limit with a NL200 at a time.
    • howard182
      howard182
      Bronze
      I quit twice and came back refreshed. And kept losing. I don't know what hands I'm unsure about, currently I have no confidence in anything other than getting all in with the nuts. Everything else is uncertain.

And getting all in with the nuts also didn't work today.
    • Zeffke
      Zeffke
      Silver
      If it lessens the pain I'm facing the same troubles @ NL25 (read my blog if u like).

Partypoker doesn't like pokerstrategy-members i guess :evil:
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi Howard!

Sorry to hear that. I also started with a downswing at NL200. I took a break, posted some hands (although I was sure that I didn't play bad) and reread some articles. That helped a lot and after a few days I started again and moved up. It was a slow process to get used to NL200 but now it works. Don't despair of this downswing. Make the best of it!

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • howard182
      howard182
      Bronze
      Okay, what I'm going to do is use a little sql to randomly select hands where I put in any money other than the blinds on any street and post ones that aren't completely standard.

After that, I've got to decide whether to go back to NL100 big stack play at party or short stack NL200, maybe at full tilt I've been thinking lately (are the games good for short stacking there? The rakeback's obviously the reason I'm considering it, although party would give me more hands on the regulars).

I'm really confused that I don't feel worse than I do, this is my biggest downswing, by far my worst day and the first time I've been forced by my own bankroll management system to move down limits. All I can manage to summon is a good dose of disappointment.

Also, they just offered me a bonus I now don't really want to take advantage of right immediately. Great timing, party.
    • sismis
      sismis
      Bronze
      was it SH or FR?
    • howard182
      howard182
      Bronze
      SH, I switched about 7k hands before moving up because from NL200 full ring games become rare. I'd played SH before until one session broke me back when I was fragile (long time ago now, was playing NL25 then), but I got over that.
    • sismis
      sismis
      Bronze
      And how were results on 100$ SH before you went on 200? I've noticed many more swings there but to my surprize overall daily profit was bigger when i lost 2 or 3 stacks in a day then when i lost 0 or 1 - when i lost less then the game was tighter/more passive. No matter what other players do you still need very strong hand (like in FR) to risk whole stack. Sometimes you need to show some agression even with weak hands otherwise your good ones wont be payed off but dont risk whole stack on them.
      Anyway im back to 8-10 handed now coz you need to be top fit(coz you cant play just good cards like in FR) for 6handed and thats not easy after day at work.

Btw: how do you filter SH games in poker tracker? just by number of players? isnt there some automatic way that would split them in 2 categories?
    • howard182
      howard182
      Bronze
      The results were pretty good in aggregate, although usual disclaimer about small samples applies, if we're to exclude my first day back when I was utterly exhausted and in fact too tired to realise I was. Didn't remember the preflop action correctly during the hands etc., was terrible. After I'd got some sleep I was appalled to see the hands.

So, er, about 2bb/100 including that day, 7bb/100 excluding.

I just filter by number of players or try to only play one or the other on a given day. I have seen a lot of pokertracker screenshots with (6-max) in the limit column though, so there's presumably another way.

(Short stacking 6-max seems to be very easy money if you 3-bet more aggressively (not exactly lightly, that's what everyone else is doing), optionally read others' 3-bets, and win with the better hand more often than not. Party still hates me so the last is a problem.)
    • Nunki
      Nunki
      Bronze
      Originally posted by sismis

Btw: how do you filter SH games in poker tracker? just by number of players? isnt there some automatic way that would split them in 2 categories?
      In the "Import HH's" window, check the box which says "Treat all hands as" and then use the enabled drop-down menu. This will add a 6-max tag to all imported hands (don't forget to un-check it if you play FR again).

Howard, I've heard coaches and others mention that from NL25-NL400 that the biggest step is the NL100 -NL200. If I was in your spot I'd carry on at NL100 (or where you feel comfortable). I'd also look at loads of NL200 games and try to come up with some sort of plan for my next shot.

Good Luck.