[NL2-NL10] NL5 SH - AJo

• randompkr
      Known players:

0,02/0,05 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.69 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A:diamond: , J:club:
      MP2 folds, Hero raises to $0,20, CO calls $0,20, 3 folds.

Flop: ($0,47) Q:diamond: , J:diamond: , J:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0,30, CO raises to $0,90, Hero?

How should I play this to get the most out of him? Reraise or flat call?
  • 2 replies
    • jrc4ever
      on that drawy board, i would definitely reraise... trying to get him all in...
    • MaestroOfZerg

Originally posted by jrc4ever
      on that drawy board, i would definitely reraise... trying to get him all in...
      I agree, tho you should look further to really profit from your reasoning.

"The board is drawy" mostly means that on draw completing turns (and there are a lot of them in that case) one of two things can happen: either you opponent had a draw and he got there so you're behind, or he didn't have a draw and now he's afraid of putting more money in with a hand like JT because he thinks you could have had the draw. In any case it's bad for your hand.

"Blank" turns aren't that good either since you are out of position. If you bet a blank turn yourself, your opponent will have less reasons to call you because if he has a draw he missed and there is only one card left, so his equity was cut down by half, and if he has a made hand, it looks less and less like you have a draw when you continue to bet, so he's more inclined to fold the worst of the made hands he raised on the flop with. If you check the turn, he's free to do whatever he wants, and for most players that means checking back draws to get another shot at hitting them while continuing to bet absolute monsters into you, which is a disaster for you. He might continue to bet worse Jx for sure, but those hands you're stacking anyway if you 3bet the flop.

So the best way for you to stack worse made hands before the board gets ugly AND get value out of draws before their equity is halved, is to simply try and go broke right on the flop.

Hope it helps.