[NL2-NL10] NL200 SH BSS connected hands as preflop aggressor

• howard182
      howard182
      Bronze
      (Ignore aggression factors, as always, they're wrong.)

1. I checked the flop in this case because I have little fold equity on this board and my outs are all to the nuts. The table was quite tight preflop and everyone had me covered, so I think the preflop raise was okay. I felt that raising immediately with my straight was going to get more value than making a call that would be read as a mediocre hand or a monster.

Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)    
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $234.60
      Hero:
      $203

1/2 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.7 by www.pokerstrategy.cc.

Preflop: Hero is CO with 6:heart: , 8:heart:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $7.00, BU folds, SB calls $6.00, BB folds.

Flop: ($16.00) 5:spade: , K:club: , 7:diamond: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($16.00) 9:diamond: (2 players)
      SB bets $11, Hero raises to $25.00, SB folds.

Final Pot: $52.00

2. This one I did cbet, maybe a mistake? My outs are potentially tainted (argument for cbetting) and I'm against two opponents (argument against).

Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)   
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $200
      BB:
      $368
      SB:
      $273.30

1/2 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.7 by www.pokerstrategy.cc.

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 9:diamond: , T:diamond:
      Hero raises to $7.00, 3 folds, SB calls $6.00, BB calls $5.00.

Flop: ($21.00) 7:heart: , 8:heart: , K:club: (3 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets $12, 2 folds.

Final Pot: $33.00
  • 1 reply
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi howard182!

Hand 1) the preflopraise is ok if you have a tight table. But I would contibet the flop because a flop with one high card and two low cards is a good flop for a cbet. You as preflopraiser could have hit the K. In addition: you are in position. Even if you get called by the SB on the flop and don't improve on the turn you can take a freecard and check behind.
      The problem of the line you played is that if you don't improve on the turn and the SB bets (like in this case) you often don't get the odds to call and have to fold.
      All in all a contibet has three advantages:
      1. you normally see a turn and a rivercard
      2. you play a bigger pot
      3. You can win the pot on the flop because your opponent folds

Hand 2) The same like in Hand 1: the contibet is correct. You are in position, both players didn't show any strength and even if you get a call on the flop you can take a free card on the turn - if necessary.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81