I aint Wanna Be a Noob

• rohit3887
      rohit3887
      Bronze
      Hi I m Rohit . I am from bangalore India. I am a 3rd yr mech. engg student.

After busting my free capitol atlast . I deposit 100$ to everest poker last on 27th Jan. I have never deposited on a poker room before. As 100$ is like 15day money for me i am taking it very seriously. I wanna learn the game of poker very much as said I aint wanna Be A Noob Like .

My poker knowledge is very limited .I have played little of NL DONs,PLO,NL SSS and NL BSS and i have no idea where am i good at.

But now after playing

3k hands of NL2 BSS .( Lol only a little profit not very exciting)
      1.5k Hands of NL10 SSS (Good but i hate when i lose few buyin when i am ahead preflop in a single session)

and TURBO 6-max 2.50+.25SNGs and 3+.30DON sngs.(THis ihas been the best untill now and i have earned a few money by it)

FebuaRy GoaLS
      1) Reach 400$ Br (Completed on 9th Feb)
      2) Turn Atleast Gold on PS
      3) Read a Poker Book
      4) Post 3 hands for evaluation
      5) Watch a poker video triweekly atleast
      6) Go through strategy article
      7) Get a Elephant licence (No need for omaha..need PT3 now)

3 Months Goals--

1) Complete my 300$ Bonus at everest( I have only 2 months for that)
      2) Reach 1k Bankroll
      3) Cashout maybe a small(To prove to my dumb friends tat online poker is authentic and real and is not fake)
      4) Win An MTT

I really like PLO as i play that live a lot. But i will stay away from PLO for now bcoz of that only i busted my free capitol..((as i was advised by someone one here that i should play the game i like so now i m PLO10 player)]

I will play 6max SNGs as these are good for me now .
      Also i will attend all the coaching sessions there are as yesterday i have watching "chenny888" SNG coaching that was really illuminating i really learned a lot. I earn 20$ on the very next session (best so far) . Thankyou chenny888. (SNGs are boring--10th Feb)

I am open to all critisims and advices. I know I have a long way to go before i even come close to NL25.

BR--195$
  • 18 replies
    • KidPokersKid
      KidPokersKid
      Global
      Hi and welcome, IMO you need to find what you enjoy playing the most and only play that form of poker so that you can learn the most AND not get things confused when playing different games/styles.
      Also you MUST follow strict bankroll management without that you will end up losing everything. You should read all the articles that you have access to especially the Psychology ones because Tilt & no BRM are the two things that destroy rolls of new players.

Best of luck to you in the future.
    • andreibalint
      andreibalint
      Bronze
      The very first thing you have to do is to know that if you don't respect bankroll management you'll go broke. If you do this there is no chance of busting your capital. I think it's more important than the knowledge you have about poker.

Play what you like and learn to play it well!

Something helped me a lot: i set a minimum nr of tournaments that i play every single day, and i analyse my results only at the end of the month. Of course you'll see your bankroll every day, but i think it's important to say "doesn't matter, it's important how it is at the end of the month".

After you get more experienced play as much tables as you can whitout starting to time out and play bad.
      Try to increase the number of tables in time.

I personally think you can make 2k $ a month by playing poker whitout exhaustive knowledge or being a phenomenon or have some kind of talent whatsoever.

And learn to deal with the swings! The more you survive the more powerful you are and the less you care you lost X buy-ins.
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Hey rohit3887

Good luck taking the game seriously.

The best advice I can offer you is this (and it took me about 14 months to not only know this, but actually understand and implement it).

1. Forget about monetary goals within certain time frames. Variance plays too big a part in poker and monetary goals are far too easily missed, or create an incorrect focus for you. The only way to achieve the financial goals are through improvement in your game and lots of time.

2. Find a game you like and stick with it. Ideally you should love the game you decide to focus on because it will mess you around like nobodies business. If you hit tough patches, work your way through them rather than giving up. If you feel you've honestly given something your best shot, then playing another game for a change can help freshen you up.

3. Study.

4. Study.

5. If you feel like playing an extra session because you have some extra time, study.

6. If you decide that points 3 - 5 are too boring and that you have some bonus to clear that is more important, or you are trying to play your way through some nasty negative variance, close the poker room application and do some study.

7. Work out what limit you need to be able to comfortably beat, given a reasonable amount of playing volume to make the USD amount you want to achieve.

If you are not playing that limit and comfortably beating it, you should spend more time studying. Understand that once you are in control of your game at the limit you want to play, you can improve your hourly return by playing more. Up until that point, you are slowing down your chances of meeting those criteria for every extra hour you play versus your hours of study.

8. Here are a selection of three blogs I respect and that I think represent the struggles of those of us attempting to beat our respective games. If nothing else, do yourself a service and take in as much as you can from them.

I hate real work... doing ok...

Living +EV. JuiceQuadre vs himself. (NL50 FR) 

Poker Brothers 2010: Being AWESOME!!

All the very best of luck to you! :f_thumbsup:
    • rohit3887
      rohit3887
      Bronze
      @Kidpokerskid .thnks for the BR articles advice already going through it . I have planned on playing SNG dons and as there is contant power problems in day time and i have no backup....i cant really play any SNGs at day but will play NL10 SSS...

@Waiboy thanks for the detailed review ...i have also felt that i need to give more time to learning process ...but have never adhere by it ...even started some PS videos but never even watched one complete video...

I know Discipline is the only way i will get ahead and thats one of the reason i started this blog...it will keep me connected to the poker ...bcoz i know if i update this blog with all my sessions i will not easily loose control or go on a tilt..as i dont want to write about the session where i keep on playing after losing 5-6 buyins or bust myself in NL25 or PLO25 with a short bankroll.

Disipline is the Key . I have to keep reminding this to myself.
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by rohit3887
      @Waiboy thanks for the detailed review ...i have also felt that i need to give more time to learning process ...but have never adhere by it ...even started some PS videos but never even watched one complete video...

I know Discipline is the only way i will get ahead and thats one of the reason i started this blog...it will keep me connected to the poker ...
      Lack of discipline was always my problem too.. it's too easy to lose focus on the really important stuff when you've got bonuses to clear, VIP levels that seem oh so easy to achieve with a little grinding... suddenly you've gone six months, learned nothing, and are getting smashed by variance and leaks after going along okay. All the while knowing what the optimal approach should be!

If you learn your lesson early and well, you've made an advance taking you ahead of 80 - 90% of all low limit players. At least!
    • Targetme
      Targetme
      Bronze
      ya 2k sounds like the magic number ;p it what I made my first serious month of poker and I can gladly claim ive never read a book or paid attention to a poker video for more then 10 minutes due to no attention span
    • rohit3887
      rohit3887
      Bronze
      Hi i need a sng player tracking software(if its there) for Everest poker...also i need it to be free...please advice the free software where i can review by sng play or post sample hands as elephant does not track sngs..
    • rohit3887
      rohit3887
      Bronze
      yea i jst turned silver
    • mankijs
      mankijs
      Bronze
      gl m8 on all your goals :)

sorry, can't advice any tracker :(
    • andreibalint
      andreibalint
      Bronze
      Targetme, what do you play?
    • rohit3887
      rohit3887
      Bronze
      Hi i play 6 max sngs on everest poker...i downloaded PT3 but it does not give the tourney summary so i cant get the overall result...

Hi can anybody link me the resource where i can study how to use the opponent pt3 sngs stats effectively...

Thnx in advance...
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Hey rohit.

Have you tried the PT3 forums? There are (I think) some hud setups plus site guides that may provide some help re importing Everest results.. other than that, try checking the SnG discussion forum or post there.
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      i analyse my results only at the end of the month

Good luck OP. If the above comment relates to $earned, it's probably sound advice. If it relates to individual sessions of tournaments I wouldn't wait until the end of the month.

The sooner you identify and correct leaks the better.

I would also suggest you be extra careful about BR management now that you have admitted you've lost your original capital. To be brutally honest with you, I think it's actually quite hard to lose that $50 if you really stick to the articles and forum advice and the fact that you've lost the first $50 and then deposited twice that amount makes me a tiny bit concerned for you. I would suggest you consider withdrawing 7 day's money ($50) and grinding it up from the bottom. It's completely possible and will demonstrate the grit and determination you'll need to make it long term.

Anyway, good luck and great to have someone from the Subcontinent - very close to my heart :)
    • rohit3887
      rohit3887
      Bronze
      I started playing omaha recently...i didnt play much as the traffic sucks there ...but here are the stats for around 2k hands..plz give ur thoughts and advice how can i improve it
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Hey rohit.

You're best to post your stats directly into the omaha strategy discussion forum thread. Before you do so though, I'd suggest getting up to around 10k hands... anything less is hard to make too much of an assessment on.

*EDIT: Just checked.. see you've done so already! Getting involved in that section of the forum is a good idea to help develop your game.

If you are worried about your play now and concerned 10k hands is too many, then you'd be best to post hands you're unsure of in the Omaha hand evaluation thread.

Good luck! :f_cool:
    • rohit3887
      rohit3887
      Bronze
      the traffic at everset poker sucks only few tables of PLO running at day time...but i played more poker than ever on last two days....i m running hot...i wish this continue for a while ...here is a graph of last two days PLO 10 Grinding......last 3 days days have been graet for me...i completed my first february goal of 400$...ty PS
    • rohit3887
      rohit3887
      Bronze
      also i tried PLO25 as only 2 table were running for PLO10 ...the thing that suprised me there that the same guys were playing PLO 10 ,PLO25 and also PLO 50...so there waz this one total maniac who lost big in PLO25 and PLO10 but was also playing in PLO 50...so i thought y cant i play PLO50 ....nyway i lost 40$ pot against him at PLO50 ..so i want to know whether it is rt to play above your bankroll if the opponent is on complete tilt and fish...though it didnt work for me...
    • Phgrinder
      Phgrinder
      Bronze
      lol rohit you noob war3 orc noob. as long as you have the fish figured out, you can folllow him on any limit. but sometimes they will get lucky on you. question is can your bankroll take the hit? or are you willing to gamble lol - dwytph