Thanks for stealing my money 888.

• greymouth
      greymouth
      Bronze
      I got the second $50 starting capital from PS for 888 and joined one of the $20 tournaments, which was then later cancelled and 888 didn't refund the buy in to my account.

So they basically stole $20 from my account.

It's not as bad, since at least I didn't deposit the $50 myself. Now I know to stay far away from 888.com. That, and I find their software to be the worst I have ever used, they made the decision easy.

Has anyone else had this happen to them? I can't contact their live support as the button in the poker client does nothing.

This is honestly ridiculous 888.com, get your act together!
  • 27 replies
    • noclaninator
      noclaninator
      Bronze
      yes I have had bad experiences here too. I will never deposit on this awful site. You know after 6 months of inactivity they start taking your bankroll 10% per month at a time until it is gone?

The play is so fishy there though... if the players would just go to full tilt I would be happy
    • greymouth
      greymouth
      Bronze
      I'm just happy that poker strategy really covered the loss, and I wasn't left out of pocket.

It does shine negatively on Poker Strategy though, seeing as I only signed up because of the emails they sent out to me. What a waste of time that turned out to be.
    • LuborC
      LuborC
      Bronze
      That's just ridiculous. I'm sure they will refund the buyin.
    • andreibalint
      andreibalint
      Bronze
      Hoping to save someone the trouble...
      DON'T GO TO 888!!!!

I was basically forced to play there to get a PokerTracker licence, and the bonus is un-clearable, the traffic is horrible (can't even play 1$ SnG's), and the tables look like crap.
    • One12ver
      One12ver
      Bronze
      It does shine negatively on Poker Strategy though, seeing as I only signed up because of the emails they sent out to me. What a waste of time that turned out to be.

Yes, 888 does have nasty software and very few players BUT to blame PS for this is just plain stupid. I think I don´t understand this so I just want to ask: Did PS ever tell you to play a tourny with 2.5BI? :f_mad:
      If you did play with 2.5BI then its better they took the 20$ because you would end up loosing it all anyways.
    • KobeLG
      KobeLG
      Bronze
      its better they took the 20$ because you would end up loosing it all anyways.

this is not about BRM, if he chooses to piss away his BR on a single tourney buy-in it's his problem.

you would be just as pissed if it was to happen to you regardless of the buy-in 1, 20 or 50$.

If a tourney gets canceled the buy-in should be refunded end of story.
    • adeebsultan
      adeebsultan
      Bronze
      which $20 tourney was it? i m curious, even though i m definitely not a fan of the software, this sort of thing has never happened to me. have been playing there since september using the 2nd starting capital.

as for live chat, they are only good for deposit/cashout inquiries and its slow. a better bet would be to email support. it will still be slow but you will get your issue sorted out.
    • bullet101
      bullet101
      Bronze
      What is this second starting capital everyone is talking about?
    • wowadvisor
      wowadvisor
      Bronze
      some people are randomly picked and get a second start at their poker career by getting another 50 free starting capital...

anyway just email the support and explain the situation in a friendly manner. if still nothing has been done after waiting a few days... email or phone with a more aggresive manner

since im sure this isnt legal
    • greymouth
      greymouth
      Bronze
      They still haven't refunded the buy in. Although, after this has happened I certainly wouldn't play on 888.com enough to clear the bonus - so it doesn't matter too much.

The only reason I meant that it might reflect poker strategy is because they are promoting them, so they might get associated with 888.com and this sort of practice isn't something that I would want to be associated with.

Thinking about it now, I have no doubt that it is unintentional, but I would have expected better than this. I get errors occasionally when I open up the client, and some support buttons and website links don't work.

These little things have built up into one big thing, so now I can safely say I will never go back, and will definitely recommend that others stay away.
    • adeebsultan
      adeebsultan
      Bronze
      pokerstrategy ran a promotion with pacific july last year that allowed pokerstrategists with 888+ lifetime SPs to get a 2nd $50 starting capital. See the article for details.

greymouth, u still didn't mention which tournament.
    • greymouth
      greymouth
      Bronze
      Originally posted by adeebsultan
      greymouth, u still didn't mention which tournament.
      It was a $20 + $2 Deep Stack No Limit Hold'em, ID 26118721.
    • adeebsultan
      adeebsultan
      Bronze
      ah. one of the few types i dont play. only play SnGs and guaranteed MTTs, so haven't encountered a situation like this.

like i mentioned before, email support, and wait to see what they have to say.
    • EdgarAronov
      EdgarAronov
      Bronze
      go cry us a river :f_o:
    • qcjunior
      qcjunior
      Bronze
      GRAVITY- is a law of nature-throw an apple in the air,it will fall to the ground.

B.R.M.-is a law of nature-go outside of bank roll mgmt,disrespect your PS starting capital and you lose it.

(quote from One12ver)
      If you did play with 2.5BI then its better they took the 20$ because you would end up loosing it all anyways.(see you broke the law of nature)

I am thinking you never read any of the PS articles in the bronze section,you only passed the aptitude test to gain entrance to PS then pissed away your 1st roll in the first weekend.now with the second starting capital you are breaking the law of nature again.I would not rely on Lady Luck, I happen to know that her and Mother Nature are very good friends.(they gossip a lot)

(who said that?)
      Has anyone else had this happen to them? I can't contact their live support as the button in the poker client does nothing.

Try unblocking the poker site from your antimalware program/firewall.I am sure its blocking parts of the poker application.
    • Octhellior
      Octhellior
      Bronze
      Why are people defending 888.com by bringing BRM into the discussion?

Off course he wasn't rolled for those $20 tournaments but surely that doesn't give a poker site the right to just take his money?
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Imo pacific poker blows.....I regretted receiving my starting capital there for a long time. I will not be going back.

As to your tournament...if you were placed at a table and started posting, but were unable to actually connect to and play the game, 888.com might be theoretically allowed to keep your money. If you were never even properly registered in the game, 888.com should return your money. It'll be interesting to see how it pans out.

(ps if it was cancelled half way through like you seem to imply, what happened to everyone else in the tournament that lost their BI?)

Good luck.

w34z3l
    • One12ver
      One12ver
      Bronze
      this is not about BRM, if he chooses to piss away his BR on a single tourney buy-in it's his problem.

I agree and another´s BR is none of my business but to blame PS for part of the problem when your clearly not following what they teach is stupid.

Do you blame the goodlooking woman standing at the bus stop that you were looking at when you have a accident with your car?
    • greymouth
      greymouth
      Bronze
      Originally posted by EdgarAronov
      go cry us a river :f_o:

@qcjunior: It was not my first bank roll, my first bank roll I built up to $250 and it has stayed at around $150-$250 since then. I am not a professional, or anything like that. I play for fun.

I have read the no-limit bronze articles, and have made silver before. But, like I said, I am a casual player.

I have already tried turning my firewalls off, I think it may possibly be something to do with the browser (Chrome).

@w34z3l: Their software stated the tournament was cancelled, my connection was stable. I was the only participant in the tournament.

@One12ver: I don't blame PS for this happening, and I think they are a great site. I'm just annoyed that they kind of recommended 888.com, when 888.com clearly does not meet their level of quality. It was just my opinion and you are quite correct, but that was not the main issue of this thread.

I have not been able to contact support in software, and I have not emailed them about it either. The reason I have not done so is because this whole experience has put me off 888.com, so even if I got the money back, I would not be motivated to clear it.

Thank you to everyone who posted helpful replies here. I guess this post was more of a way for me to vent my frustration, and it was done so wonderfully. I would just like other people to know that this has happened to me, so it could happen to you as well.

For now, I'll be sticking to other rooms. Cheers guys :-)