$50,00
      MP1:
      $31,90
      Hero:
      $21,05
      BU:
      $50,00

0,25/0,5 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.69 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A:heart: , K:heart:
      UTG2 raises to $1,75, MP1 raises to $3,00, MP2 folds, Hero calls $3,00, CO folds, BU calls $3,00, SB folds, BB calls $2,50, UTG2 calls $1,25.

Flop: ($15,25) K:diamond: , 8:heart: , 8:diamond: (5 players)
      BB checks, UTG2 checks, MP1 bets $28,90 (All-In), Hero calls $18,05 (All-In), 3 folds, MP1 gets uncalled bet back.

Turn: ($51,35) 4:heart:
      River: ($51,35) J:diamond: (2 players)

Now let me just say, that I know this probably isn`t an optimal SSS play, and I was acting based on reads that i have on players and table stats.

I decided to call because mp1 did some pretty funky moves before, raising some Ax and broadway cards. I didn`t have a normal sample size on him but you can probably see the picture from the stats, and utg was just a reg. Now two more players entering the pot makes it pretty scary.

So the flop comes... An mp1 instashoves... Complete overbet... Either a bluff or a weak player trying to protect his hand from FD. Again based on his previousely played hands i called.

So any suggestions? Except of fold preflop...
  • 4 replies
    • tigerK
      tigerK
      Bronze
      As played nothing to say, you're probably ahead here it's a very easy snap call.

Now preflop your call with AKs mp3 is ugly. You fold or you 4-bet, but don't call. Here I would have 4-bet as I'm concerned.
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      I definitly 4bet preflop. Mp1 is funky as you said yourself so raising to $9 can make him feel like shoving on top of your 4bet.

Also you want to be HU or 3way with AKs, calling here can result in other players calling as well which you do not really want

As played, I would call as well and expect to be ahead most of the times.

I prefer folding over calling to be honest but EV-Max is just 4bet/shove for value ;)

Best regards,
      Gerv
    • TetraQuark
      TetraQuark
      Bronze
      I see. I believe here is one of my biggest leaks, playing doubled. So what u r saying is that it is still profitable to play AK normally as I would if I had a normal stack. See cuz I really didn`t get scared by a fish raising here, but by a reg on utg and his 12/9 that has made me overthink and make a stupid move :f_mad:

As it turned out got a bit lucky and my reads were correct as well, mp1 shoved with A9o... :f_p:

Thanks for ur answers,

Till next time,

Grega
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      If you are feeling uncomfortable playing 40bb, you can fold and post the hand here so we can give you a solid basics for it :)