Taking proper player notes

• Illicite
      Illicite
      Bronze
      Hi y'all!

I've started this topic because I have some trouble taking down correct player notes and wanted to see how other players are doing this. In my case, I really have a hard time writing anything in the player notes. What should i look for and what should i remember? The number of players being so high, and the frequency of meeting some of them at the tables so low, should i compare notes from different sessions and maybe try to discover a pattern?

Thanks and GL at the tables.
  • 5 replies
    • awkorama
      awkorama
      Bronze
      I definitely write down all "nonstandard" behavior such as limp reraising, open shoving from early positions etc. So basically if somebody plays differently than I would play the particular holecards, I add a note to him. I play SSS btw.
    • Joronamo
      Joronamo
      Bronze
      Definatly helps to learn shorthanded typing when you multitable - common ones include:

OOP - out of position
      TPTK - top pair top kicker
      F - fold
      Ahigh - Ace high
      rbet - river bet (cbet, tbet etc)

etc
      etc

As illicite says nonstandard behaviour is what you are after. Like 3betting with Ahigh, limp/raise UTG, call rbet with Qhigh etc.
    • tuomasta
      tuomasta
      Bronze
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/bss/1587/1
    • Illicite
      Illicite
      Bronze
      I'm not silver yet...but hopefully I will be soon enough :s_biggrin:
    • Navrark
      Navrark
      Bronze
      Obviously unusual behavior captures your attention. Also - and this is harder to pay attention to - I try to see if people see a lot of flops or not and whether or not they show weakness when a 3rd flush card hits the felt and so forth, whether they can be bullied or not.

I had a donk today RR me with JTo so I went AI with my KK and took a nice pot. I definitely put a note on him.

That's some of my abbreviations RR = Re-Raise, AI = All In.