Is A HUD Necessary?

• Navrark
      Navrark
      Bronze
      I started researching programs today like PokerTracker / Holdem Manager and Poker Office.

These programs give insane details about how opponents play, and that info is always available at the players fingertips.

Honestly I dislike that these programs are even allowed because I believe they would give a massively unfair dis-advantage to a player who doesn't have them.

Will it be impossible to reach the higher limits without one of these programs? I don't multi-table but still, there is no way anyone is going to be able to track those kind of stats on paper, against that many opponents. Without a HUD I think I would get crushed.

Opinions?

Nav
  • 7 replies
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      Each to there own. Some find them usefull others dont.

Personally i think trackers are usefull program. Ofcourse stats are just there to help you make better dessisions, but its possible to pay to much attetion to stats which isnt good. Ofcourse also you have to make sure you use stats that are actually appropiate for the limit that your playing, because if your using stats like say: float flop, raise turn together on NL10 well quite simpley most players wont even know what a float is so thus that stat becomes usless because theres no real meaning behind it. I hope you understand what i mean? I may not of explained very well or clearly.

Now what it is good for is obvs it saves all you hand historeys so if yu want you can review sessions at your own speed and break down hands etc. Also it produces graphs for you. Aswell as actually showing you stuff like your winrate etc so that kind of stuff is quite usefull aswell.

PS: It doesnt offer an unfair advantage because there openly available to everyone ;)
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Hello!

I know a few people who do not use HUD but play quite high limits. Without HUD, profitable multitabling is more or less impossible, but with good reads and only a few tables, you can reach a very good winrate/ROI. The negative sides of having a HUD are that you might get lazy and start surfing the net etc. instead of collecting reads and of course it costs a tiny bit. I believe it is good to play without the HUD if you are planning on playing live games - you will need to make better reads there ;) . At micro limits, it definetely is possible to play without HUD. At higher limits, I would strongly advise you to use HUD since the winrate/ROI get smaller and multitabling is almost a must if you wish to climb the limits fast. Holdem Manager certainly is a good investition, it will soon pay off for those few $ it costs. If you wish to use a program with HUD but do not have the money, you can still use the Pokerstrategy Elephant. Apart from that, as you probably already know, there are free trials for the Poker Tracker and Holdem Manager.

Best regards,

Primzi
    • Navrark
      Navrark
      Bronze
      PS: It doesnt offer an unfair advantage because there openly available to everyone ;)
      There is a certain website I found online that tracks players play but it is banned in the PokerStars and Full Tilt terms of service.

That site is free for everyone to access, even people running an older computer with say something like Win98 could visit that site.

On the other hand, a Hud requires some pretty good specs on a pc to run. My laptop runs XP/Ubuntu but it's getting old so these programs would probably tax it to the max. So that means $500-$1000 for a new computer + buying a HUD for about $90-$125. I don't call that "openly available to everyone."

The website online however is "openly available to anyone."

Nav
    • Navrark
      Navrark
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Primziyou can still use the Pokerstrategy Elephant. Primzi
      Thanks, I was having trouble finding a link to that again after seeing it yesterday.

Is the PokerStrategy Elephant still being actively developed?

Nav
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Hi Navrark,

Yes, Elephant is still very much being developed by the technical people at PokerStrategy.

You can follow their blog of latest developments in this link.

Just to clarify one aspect you raised too. Whilst confusing, programs such as Elephant, PT3, HM etc are legal as they only record stats from your own play and your opponents play whilst playing against you.
      These are just like a big database of everytime you've played.

What is illegal and banned by poker platforms is recording/displaying/identifying how opponents have played in the past when you have not been active at the table. This is referred to as datamining.

Also banned (whilst having the poker lobby active) are calculation devices and any program that actively tells you how to best play a hand. It is however fine to use these after your game to review your decisions with the poker lobby closed down of course.

Best regards,

Bart
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      Originally posted by EagleStar88
      Just to clarify one aspect you raised too. Whilst confusing, programs such as Elephant, PT3, HM etc are legal as they only record stats from your own play and your opponents play whilst playing against you.
      These are just like a big database of everytime you've played.

What is illegal and banned by poker platforms is recording/displaying/identifying how opponents have played in the past when you have not been active at the table. This is referred to as datamining.
      Whilst this is true for PokerStars or Full Tilt Poker, datamining is allowed on iPoker network (Mansion, Titan, BetFred etc.) and some others rooms/networks probably too.

just my 2 cents...
    • Joronamo
      Joronamo
      Bronze
      Is a HUD necessary?

Yes.