This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Bet sizing

• AninIII
      AninIII
      Bronze
      Hi all,

I have a general question about bet sizing and your experiences.

- Do you use the buttons (1/2 pot, 3/4 pot, pot) on party poker?
      - Do you use 'even' numbers like 5,00$ or 5,50$ or 'weird' ones like 5,37$ or 5,62$?
      - What size do you bet when you want to control villain's actions?
      Meaning: Do you bet 9,99$ when you want to make villain call and 10,75$ when you want to make him fold or vice versa?
      - Or do you even think that bet sizing doesn't have such an impact?

I'm curious to hear your opinions.

Best regards,
      Anin
  • 2 replies
    • Bierbaer
      Bierbaer
      Bronze
      Dunno I don't really do that too much because it consumes too much time to type in the cent-amounts.
      However I sometimes bet $9.50 instead of $10.50 because I think it lets opponents lean a little more to calling (and conversely $10.50 instead of $9.50 when I'm bluffing).

Most stores do the same think with their prices and it has been done for ages so I guess there's a reason for it :P .

Btw I'm only doing this if the amount only differs a bit, so (for example) I'd never bet $9.50 instead of let's say $15.
      The luring betsize still only increases the call% a little bit, so don't give up too much value.

Btw I never use these default-bet-buttons, but there's no particular reason for that other than I just find it easier to type in the betsizing that I have in mind than calculating how big the bet is compared to the pot and which button approximates it the best.
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      I normally uses the bnuttons or type the bets that I have in mind corresponding to about 2/3 or 1/2 or pot size anyway. however I have read somewhere that regular player are used to standard bet size and using weird number can some time confuse them. I have never used it or even never really given much thought to it myself.

To further on this point that will probably be denied and thought as ridiculous by a lot of people; I read somewhere in one of TLN's blogs (I think it was his $50000 in a month challenge one), an example of a hand where on the turn the villain was nearly all in but had only 2 or 3BB left on his stack and the pot was huge. on the river the villain made a minimum raise and TLN who I think is a fantastic player thought for a while about folding because the amount bet was strange. He finally called because the pot odds were ridiculous but it does go toward the previous point