Playing Ace High

• Navrark
      Navrark
      Bronze
      Okay, I keep getting burnt playing FL today and it makes me mad because I have been rocking at 2NL.

What am I supposed to do? I raise with AQo in early position and I get re-raised so I have to call. The flop comes 6-7-8 and opponent bets. Now I know he doesn't have a straight and unlikely that he has a flush, so I call to the end and he has JJ.

What should I do? I'd love to hand the pot over and say that's fine because 50% of the time I will have momentum with my own continuation bet and then he'll fold. But I get re-raised every single time that I raise pre-flop so I never have momentum entering the flop.

The same player as above example re-raised my AQs to cap before with AJo earlier in the game and so he had momentum again. I called to the end but he had paired his J on the flop.

Nav

PS> I actually just played 2 hands against buddy from my examples above and I took money off him. He called me to the end with a board pair of 4's against my board pair A's, and then he re-raised me with AK for top pair K's but I had a Set of Q's.
  • 5 replies
    • ukcoolcat
      ukcoolcat
      Bronze
      welcome to fl! learning when to give up helps.
    • Navrark
      Navrark
      Bronze
      Yeah I know, but it's not that simple in FL. In fact when I use Poker Academy Pro it seems to tell me to call with hands like AQ to the end vs one opponent, because in relation to the pot size, those calls are minimal, and you may win with just Ace high. I mean, buddy called my AQs raise with AJo and just got lucky on the flop. Had he not hit I'd have won.

That's why I'd like more opinions on how other people play with Ace high in the same situation.

Nav
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Hey Nav, it really depends on board texture and opponent reads (ie LAG/nit/calling station/TAG).

The best advice is to post all the hands you are unsure of in the hand evaluation forums so you can begin to get a feel on how to play these hands.
    • pinnryder
      pinnryder
      Bronze
      If you`re playing SH calling with ace high can be a profitable move rarely though on full ring games, exept the board is very dry and you have a good idea of what the other player is likely holding. But thats just in generall. Hard to say mre with only little information..
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Hey!

All advice I can give you is to stay away from the poker academy and start reading articles, getting hands evaluated, attending coachings and watching videos. FL is one of the hardest poker styles and it takes a lot of time and will to learn (and even more to master) ;) .

Best regards,

Primzi