Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $10.00
      BU:
      $10.00

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.70 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9:club: , 9:spade:
      2 folds, Hero calls $0.10, BU raises to $0.60, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.50.

Flop: ($1.35) 4:spade: , 2:club: , A:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.80, BU calls $0.80. villain is not so tight, so I took the lead with my pockets

Turn: ($2.95) 7:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.40, BU calls $1.40. Can't really explain here, thought I would give another shot with flushdraw, but I guess bet was too small or not necessary at all?

River: ($5.75) 6:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU checks.

Final Pot: $5.75
  • 2 replies
    • johnbeattie85
      johnbeattie85
      Bronze
      hi hi.

Main problem here is not raising pre.

Flop: Dryish board considering BU's range. If you had a legitimate hand you would usually c/c or c/r for value. Expect to get floated and raised a lot. Leading is only good if villian is some sort of super passive calling station.

I just c/f here without reads. Playing OOP guessing game is just massively -EV. If villian is the type that cbets once with air and then checks down, then c/c obv.

Turn: Don't really like the bet. What hands that called the flop are folding? What's your plan on the river if a fourth :club: comes? In general, If your hand is weak and you think he has a lot of air in his range then c/c is the better play. In this situation I just c/f since he will quite often have the flush, Ax, or 88-KK.
    • caltabiano
      caltabiano
      Bronze
      Hey!

I agree with John.

We should be raising it pre-flop! 99 on the CO is a super strong hand! Were there any particular reasons for not raising it?

Flop: What's the purpose of your play here? What is he calling you with that doesn't beat you? Isn't he always cbetting this board with air? By allowing him to cbet, you allow him to maintain his range at the widest! By donkbetting, you allow him to bluffraise you or to only call with hands that you beat and fold all the air which would have bet into you.

Once you db, I'd just check the turn and hope he checks back and we can see the showdown.

Cheers!