[NL2-NL10] NL10 set fold to shove

• Termis
      Termis
      Bronze
      I hate these situations. Should I just call? Is it possible this 73/3/1 will shove 2pair?
      Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $13.29
      BB:
      $4.94
      Hero:
      $22.24
      BU:
      $9.85

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.70 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is UTG2 with 5:diamond: , 5:spade:
      Hero calls $0.10, 4 folds, BU calls $0.10, SB calls $0.05, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.40) 9:diamond: , 5:heart: , 2:diamond: (4 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets $0.20, BU calls $0.20, SB calls $0.20, BB folds.

Turn: ($1.00) 7:spade: (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.80, BU calls $0.80, SB folds.

River: ($2.60) 6:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.23, BU raises to $6.16, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $9.99
  • 3 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Raise it up preflop if you're going to play that hand, if you don't want to open-raise then fold it.

As played bet bigger on the flop at least $0.3, turn is fine. River is obviously very ugly for you and that looks so passive i don't think he's ever raising two pairs, i'm fine bet/folding small for value against 9x.

Hope it helps.
    • Termis
      Termis
      Bronze
      Aren't 55 too weak to openraise in EP? I don't think they will pay off my lost raises in NL10.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

You won't get 3bet either unless you're beat for sure, so raise/folding is fine with us. If somebody calls behind you, you get into the same situation you would have by limp/calling, except you have initiative in the hand.

When you make a set you'll be able to start by c-betting which everybody expects you to do with anything on most boards, in an already bloated pot so it's easy to get people's stack by the river usually. How sad is it to flop a set in a limped pot against the fish? See that as an investment.

When you don't, you can still represent high cards with a c-bet and get people to fold.

In this case you can't really expect to take the pot down preflop since BU is super loose and so is BB, but often with tags behind you you will.

Hope it helps.