[NL2-NL10] NL5: 2 one-pair hands

• Mugge88
      Mugge88
      Bronze

0,02/0,04 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.8 by www.pokerstrategy.cc.

Preflop: Hero is CO with J:diamond: , K:diamond:
      UTG+1 calls $0,04, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls $0,04, 2 folds, Hero calls $0,04, BU calls $0,04, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop: ($0,22) K:spade: , Q:heart: , T:club: (5 players)
      BB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, Hero bets $0,17, 2 folds, UTG+1 calls $0,17, MP1 folds.

Turn: ($0,56) 8:spade: (2 players)
      UTG+1 checks, Hero bets $0,34, UTG+1 folds.

Final Pot: $0,90

0,02/0,04 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.8 by www.pokerstrategy.cc.

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 9:diamond: , 9:spade:
      2 folds, MP1 raises to $0,20, Hero calls $0,20, 5 folds.

Flop: ($0,46) A:diamond: , T:heart: , 6:heart: (2 players)
      MP1 checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($0,46) J:spade: (2 players)
      MP1 checks, Hero checks.

River: ($0,46) K:club: (2 players)
      MP1 checks, Hero bets $0,24, MP1 folds.

Final Pot: $0,70

I'm having quite some trouble with these one-pair hands. I know what to do with trash and how to play my good hands (not saying I'm doing anything perfect at all of course), but these semi-trash hands are hard for me to play.
      In hand two i both considered betting the flop and the turn bit ended up not doing anything. I had just sat down at the table and had no oppinion about him yet. Counts for hand 1 as well
  • 3 replies
    • degnic
      degnic
      Bronze
      hand1: nice played I think.

hand2: check river, if he calls, it will be with a better hand. if he folds, he had a worse hand. so no point in betting.
    • Mugge88
      Mugge88
      Bronze
      I see your point on hand 2.. But I'm not sure i agree completely though - a weak jack or ten would fold to a river bet, while not necessarily betting if it's a weak/passive player. Anyway, i'll let the river stay open for more input - The question is now, should I have bet the flop to find out how i stood? Folding to a raise of course, but what to do about a call if the same turn card shows up?
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi Mugge88!

Hand 1) nice hand!

Hand 2) check it down. You have bottom pair. There is no necessity to bluff. As degnic already pointed out: a better hand will call you (even a T or J after you checked flop and turn). And with two or three overcards plus flush and straightdraws on the board a bet with bottom pair is not profitable.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81