[NL2-NL10] Stacking lightly with straight flush draw?

• elena90
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.04 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:

Preflop: Hero is BU with 6, 5.
      CO posts deadblind, 2 folds, CO checks, Hero raises to $0.20, 2 folds, CO calls $0.16.

Flop: ($0.46) 2, 7, 3 (2 players)
      CO bets $0.44, Hero raises to $1.20, CO raises to $2.02, Hero raises to $6.28

His first hand on the table and no stats on him on my database.

I think this is super standard. I have position, a hand with good playability and dead money in the pot. This is a raise 99% of the time.

We are HU and villain makes a rather strong donkbet. The first thing I like to point out is that I like to play very aggressively against donkbets. People do it so often with air, draws and weak holdings that it's very profitable to raise donks pretty often.
      In this spot I would have done the same raise with AK,AQ, with any seven, sets, with unlikely two pair and all the overpairs. This time I do it with my straight flush draws. The reasons I raise here: 1. He could have air and since we don't have any showdown value I think it's good if he folds his overcards. 2. He could be on a draw (flushdraw, oesd, gutshot) and we want our initiative back. This way we could sometimes take free card on a turn or bet if some high card comes and take the pot down there. 3. I don't want people to donk into pots where I'm the aggressor. The raise is way superior to "call flop fold turn when missed" for delivering the message to my fellow players.

First thing I didn't think long enough while playing is the villain's bet size. He bets almost the pot size and that is a huge indicator he's not folding to a raise. I think I put him too quickly on a random stabbing attempt because he was a blind poster and he could have wide range of hands here. Thoughts about the raise being +EV?

Then the villain min3bets me. This is where I make my biggest mistake in the hand. The thought process went something like this "okay now he min3bets so he could easily be on a resteal attempt cause this board doesn't look like that it could hit my range too often. And I have the straight flush draw. What on earth can beat that???" I think his min3bet tells basically two things. 1. He is never folding here. 2. It gives us very good pot odds. I think if we call and hit OTT we will stack him 95% of the time. But I decided to shove. If I would have called there the pot would have been 4.5$ on the turn and he would have most likely shoved his rest 2,8$ so I need an equity of 27% (Am I right about this?) so it would be very marginal call with our 13 outs (26%). So what would be the ideal line after his donk? I go for raise/call OTF and fold or call OTT depending on whether we hit or not.

When I think about the flop shove I guess it just increases variance and might be even -EV. Do I have any fold equity here? I think villain is folding only his bluffs at this point. Any thoughts about how I played the hand and I would really like to get some new ideas about the concept of playing against the donk bet.
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg

I agree with you on most points.

I don't think he's folding often to a raise when he comes out betting pot, so i'd usually just call if he hadn't posted and called a raise preflop, because i think it's a bit more likely he's just full of shit in that situation, so i don't hate the raise in itself. However it's very unlikely he'll ever just call a raise from us, so when he continues we'll usually end up having to call off our stack with 6-high or fold (he might even a bigger flushdraw), which is rather sad with so many outs. I don't mind just calling even if we fold to a turn bet unimproved.

When we raise and he min3bets really i think he's never bluffing and never folding, so i would indeed call and only go broke when i hit on the turn, expecting to stack whatever hand he has all the time. Again if we had overs with a bigger flushdraw shoving would be a lot better.

Hope it helps.