Software , random or almost random?

• tevere
      tevere
      Bronze
      I have a question, probably not a new one but here it goes any way.

(I don't have much knowledge on computer programing)

In an online poker game, are the cards generated randomly every time ( first the hole cards, then after the betting another process generates the flop, then the turn and the river) or it generates everything from the beginning as if it were a deck of cards waiting to be put face up?

And, in any of these cases ,is the card generating process completely random or does it sometimes spice the action a little? because i find it very suspicious (although some of you may say that playing so many hands makes it possible for so many strange situations to happen) when i see 3 ppl having full houses and one quads and god knows what, and not just once a day.

( the reason for the spicing up would be to get more ppl to get in more money to boost up the rake)

I would like an answer from someone who knows, no speculations please.
      Thanks.
  • 3 replies
    • zloVkvetinaci
      zloVkvetinaci
      Bronze
      hi,

it depends on the site, if I remember correctly, full tilt reshuffles the deck after each dealt card. Others may or may not do this -- the important thing is that it has no effect, as the remaining cards are still truly random :)

the generators used are true random generators, I doubt any site would pass certification without one (...or with just a PRNG) -- this means that the cards are, as the name suggests, truly random

if you are interested in random number generation, I'll give you some links/articles/book references...

Also, this adds to security. If you could look at the deck (compromise their servers for example), you could not determine what cards would come, as the deck is constantly reshuffled until you pull a card from it.
    • FWallace
      FWallace
      Bronze
      i just read, that the major pokersites use variables like the movement of the mouse on a player on table or things like the momental air-pressure at a place.
      and these datas are used in the shuffle algorithm.
      so technically speaking the shuffle process of the deck in online poker rooms is even better than in real poker rooms :D
    • zloVkvetinaci
      zloVkvetinaci
      Bronze
      anything truly random can be used, mostly natural phenomena - radio noise, noise on diodes, thermal measurements, radioactive breakdown, user mouse movements etc etc..best when combined, they usually don't use something user generated alone (ie predictable in some way) :)

in live games, a truly random deck of 52 cards should be produced by about 7 shuffles (How many times should you shuffle a deck of cards?, Brad Mann, Department of Mathematics, Harvard University, can be found on docs.google.com)