[NL2-NL10] NL2 - Trips & Trying to get value from very loose opponent

• navigator75
      navigator75
      Bronze
      Hi,

Just watched Steinek's video on bet sizing and AK's vid on playing without stats and thought I'd try to put a few things into practice.

Playing at one table for approx 1 hour and had 2 LAGs. The looser of the two was sitting 2 to my left. He was 67/18 and had called 9 of 16 pfr over an hour. He had a big stack and had probably bought in for the max $5 and been doubled up or something.

So I figure that this is where my double-up is coming from....just have to be patient and wait for the right hand.

There is a limp by loosey then a min raise before me and I have 99 so I call for the set. Of course loosey calls as well, as hoped for. I chose not to raise as could not be sure what the initial raiser was up to and knew if I raised loosey was not going away and if I got rerasied I'd have to let it go. (Im still learning so hope this was sound thinking). Here is how the hand played out:

IPoker Network $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em - 10 players - http://www.thehandconverter.com/hands/517569
      The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

MP3: $1.06
      CO: $1.40
      BTN: $2.74
      SB: $1.06
      Hero (BB): $1.04
      UTG: $0.97
      UTG+1: $12.62
      UTG+2: $1.87
      MP1: $0.84
      MP2: $2.00

Pre Flop: ($0.03) Hero is BB with 9 :club: 9 :diamond:
      1 fold, UTG+1 calls $0.02, 5 folds, BTN raises to $0.04, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.02, UTG+1 calls $0.02

Flop: ($0.13) 7 :club: 9 :heart: T :diamond: (3 players)
      Hero bets $0.20, UTG+1 calls $0.20, BTN folds

Turn: ($0.53) 6 :club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.26, UTG+1 raises to $0.52, Hero raises to $0.78, UTG+1 raises to $2.87, Hero calls $0.02 all in

I slightly overbet the pot on the flop as the board was pretty drawy, but i figure no matter what I bet, loosey is calling. His normal play was to call all the way to the river, often with 2nd or third pair.

When the turn comes, I have an ugly feeling that he has the 8...or is this the sort of thought one has after a few bad beats. Anyway, when he raises after I bet the turn, I start to wonder if he could also have something like 9T, A7, AT or even two overcards and trying to push me around. Plus the FD is now there so I figure that he is so loose that I probably cant let the trips go. The reraise by me on the turn was an error and I meant to get it all in and not leave 2c behind...not that this means too much I guess.

Against such a player, am I able to get away from this hand? This is the second time I have identified a player who is looking to give chips away and neither episode ended in a pretty fashion. Do I need to reconsider my approach here?

Thanks in advance....plus thanks again to Steinek and AK for the vids.
  • 2 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Biggest mistake i see is waiting around with only 50bb preflop when both fish have big stacks, how sad is it to flop the world and only be able to get half a buy-in out of it no matter what.

Preflop flat call is okay i guess, but i'd probably still reraise. We can still felt a good amount of flops with 99 against a guy who is calling down really light, and it's a better plan for only 50bb than to try and flop a set in my opinion.

Flop is fine, i'd bet at least $0.4, maybe even jam, on the turn. 8x beats us but he can and will still call with worse hands, we can't ever fold that with only a 1.5x pot bet left in our stack.

Hope it helps.
    • navigator75
      navigator75
      Bronze
      Thanks heaps. Advice is always gratefully received.
      Cheers.