Min raise behind?

Bronze
      How should I react to players who raise the minimal amount possible behind me? Let's say I've waited long and have finally been dealt some decent cards, say AQ in the late position and some donk just min-raises behind me. Do I reraise to 3x his raise or do I have to fold or even call?
  • 7 replies
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      depending on my read of the villain. If no read and it is a 3-bet I will call to see a flop, I have already invested and the damage wont be too bad.

It also depend of position. If I am in early position and I am been reraised even minimum I take it a lot more seriously.

Also look if you have position on the villain or not.

If you don't have postion do you think your oponent will fold to a cbet on a dry flop?

Now a lot of people ( i have seen on low limits) play monsters that way. the thing is that if you have a small pocket pair they often give you just the equity you need. if you get that read on them. then they never gonna fold their hand, just make sure you follow the call 20 rule ( if you are sure that they will go all in you can make it a call 10 rule since you have 1 in 7.2 chance to hit on the flop.
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      This is one of those situations where reads will definitely change your actions. Huds and personal notes really shine here.
      Bronze
      Of course, if someone reraises after me by the smallest amount of money possible and I have invested with speculative cards I just call to see the flop, that I am comfortable with. My question, however, was about someone minraising before you. I am very uncomfortable in such situations and don't know how to play.
    • STR82ACE
      STR82ACE
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Avatars91
      I am very uncomfortable in such situations and don't know how to play.
      Then fold. If a min raise in front is causing you to question your hole cards, then they aren't strong enough to call the raise. And CALLING is alot weaker than RE RAISING

Early on, play within your comfort zone. Get better at the basics, then try to bring in a new concept and try it out once you get a good feeling for the play.
    • dicekeyrollz
      dicekeyrollz
      Bronze
      If the raiser is in late position, it's more possible that he has a strong hand, since it could be a bet that's enticing you to stay in. Early position re-raises are tough to read. But I would say that most of the time, they're not sure how strong their hand is so they're hoping to isolate themselves with a weaker hand to the flop. In this case, it's a waste to fold. Either call and outplay him post-flop, or 4-bet or push. You have a lotpf fold equity in this position.

Hope this helps! If there's something wrong with my logic please feel free to say something, but please don't badger me too much. xD
    • czzoltan
      czzoltan
      Bronze
      I always re-raise min-raises before me with AQ and most of the time it turns out nicely..

i.e.

Let's suppose that you are playing NL2, you have a 2$ stack, you are BU, UTGs fold, MP1 raises to 0.04, MP2 calls, MP3, CO folds.

You raise to 0.12, SB, MP1 calls, MP2 folds.

Usually when you make a re-raise you will remain with 1 or 2 opponents in play.

With two opponents it could be a bit harder, but you can easily outplay one opponent even if you don't hit anything on the flop.

Let's say the flop comes K 5 8 in different suits. You've missed but it is very likely that he had also missed. If he checks you must definitely make a c-bet (2/3 of the pot will do, a pot-size bet can make the villain notice that you want to steal the pot) and most of the time, your opponent will fold.

If he bets, you can raise to see where you're at, I usually decide whether to raise or not by the size of the villain's bet. If it's around the size of the pot you would have to risk about 1/3 of your stack. Of course sometimes it's worth it.

If he calls and you still don't get any help on the turn it can be better to play in pot-control mode or fold if he starts betting aggressively.

If he check-raises.. you should start thinking about folding or raising, I don't think that calling would make any sense in this situation. Let's say the pot is 0.30$, you bet 0.20$, villain reraises to 0.60$. You would have to raise well above 1$ (or maybe all-in) if you'd like to take that pot. If you fold you lose 0.32$, if you raise and he folds you can win 0.80$. If you go all-in and he does have the king you have 3 outs (it is very unlikely that 2 queens will come on the turn and the river). So if he makes a re-raise, it is your choice, it is also very likely that the villain has smth like 99, but odds are still against you in this case. Of course a good read and knowing your opponent can also help you. ;)

So my advice would be to raise and c-bet when someone min-raises before you, and try avoiding complicated situations.

Hand-judges can help even more with these kind of problems. :)
      Bronze
      Interesting ideas czzoltan. I'm not quite sure it's worth to raise after a bet postflop without having hit anything.. Haven't tried that out myself, but knowing micro limit players I would be rather hesitant to include it in my strategy. What do others think?